• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

One Lucky Son

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Last week my 12 year old had a note from his school stating that all of the 6th graders (210 of them) were chosen for a pilot program where each kid gets a take home computer. Well my wife and I just got back from a meeting in regard to the take home computers and each one of them is getting a MacBook 1.8 ghz that is theirs for the next 3 years. All of their books, are loaded in a .pdf format. Along with a bunch of other software. Also, each MacBook is chipped so if they are stolen and somebody gets on the internet with it the unit can be traced, hmmm, I wonder how?

And to think when I was in school getting a calculator was a big thing, lucky kid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
That is awesome.. What school does he go to and where? Ill be there bright and early ready to get my computer. I should be able to pass as a 12 year old. 6'7" 230 not a problem!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
How cool! :) He is one lucky boy. We got to use iBooks in highschool but never take them home, let alone for 3 years! ;)

T

todd51

Wow, we were allowed to use laptops in school that we rented from the library, but they were really old things..not nice Macbooks!

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I was blown away, I thought, well with the new MacBooks coming out they would get some left over iBooks, but when the lady handed out the info and then went through the PowerPoint presentation (all done from a MacBook Pro) I realized they were getting MacBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
If you can find that chip, and are quite handy at making things out of papier mache, I sense a permanent addition of a Macbook in your home... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
That's crazy. I hope programs like this are standard nation-wide in about 15 years when I have a kid that is your son's age.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can find that chip, and are quite handy at making things out of papier mache, I sense a permanent addition of a Macbook in your home... :D

Ah, I think I'll pass on that one. Everyone of these MacBooks have been registered with our local law enforcement and on the bottom of each of them is a laser etching that has the school name and school district. I was able to look at one of the MacBooks and the etching looks like what they have on a Visa card. Here is another interesting thing, even though the units have Safari and Firefox installed and they can surf the web, you cannot download any software, all downloading is blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
Well with that sort of investment, I can't say I blame them for all the added security. This can't be a public school, unless your state has some sort of amazing education budgeting skills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
my school still uses 30 year old science equipment and 5-8 year old text books, and there arent enough graphing calculators for one math class. its sad. we even have holes in our walls

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
The building I go to school in is 74 years old, got renovated in the early 80s to be 70s tech. No A/C and it gets up around 110 degrees in May and June on the third floor. Not every room can have a fan because the wiring won't handle it, there aren't even enough graphing calculators for the SOL tests, we have holes in our walls too! Mmmmmmm, asbestos. The building in structurally sound except for some settling issues which only causes 4-bulb flourescent lights to fall out of the ceiling tiles. The heating system keeps it around a toasty 55 degrees in the winter, and we have no cooling system for the summer. We are supposed to get new schools built within the next 20 years sometime.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well with that sort of investment, I can't say I blame them for all the added security. This can't be a public school, unless your state has some sort of amazing education budgeting skills.

Yep, it is a public school with a state grant and some sort of a partnership with Apple.

Reaction score
I have to admit - I am stunned! A PC would not have surprised me that much but a Mac!!! Wow! Your school board president should consider a run for Congress!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.