So I've heard the speakers leave much to be desired...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
On those dandy little Macbooks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of speakers I should purchase to complement my 'soon to be arriving' computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The sound quality is fine, the volume even maxed out is not that loud (to the point where I can't watch a movie if there is any other noise in the room) so I just plug in a good pair of cans to listen to stuff

Reaction score
On those dandy little Macbooks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of speakers I should purchase to complement my 'soon to be arriving' computer?
I would just get a cheap pair of speakers at your local best buy or curcuit city. The speakers on the macbook are very quiet so, just as trpnmonkey41 said, if there is any noise, you just cant hear. Congrats on you purchase!!

OP
iSebastianGrey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have some old crap speakers from my old desktop PC. Those would likely work well enough, I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I wonder if I can get some Bluetooth speakers. I'm sure I can find a reasonbly priced system...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've got a set of these from creative:

prod10796_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=29&product=10796

they're very nice for their size, and you can either power them by usb or by a separate battery pack, or by a/c (a/c adapter not included).

edit: btw, you can stand them up on the side or clip them on the laptop screen, their pretty versatile.

Reaction score
Yea the volume is low... but in a quiet environment theyre great. Also, I love the optical audio port. Allows me to connect my logitech z5450... I love my macbook!

OP
iSebastianGrey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eric: Now that's a portable solution I think I can live with. Looking at some of the Bluetooth speakers wasn't exactly encouraging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
optical port? Where is the optical port? My MacBook has only standard 3.5 mm plugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
optical port? Where is the optical port? My MacBook has only standard 3.5 mm plugs.

it is the same port as your 3.5mm head phone jack.

Reaction score

you need an optical audio mini plug to optical audio. Get it from monoprice.com. its by far the best. I dont work for them, but i will buy from them forever. Theyre superb quality, most of em atleast, and ridiculously cheap. The optical audio is awesome. The 3.5mm plug would distort if i twisted it, touched it, or even breathed on it. The optical audio cable which is just 5 bucks or something (12 feet too!) is soooo worth it. My 3.5mm cable was like 2 bucks, so i dont mind tossing it

Q

quackbook

how do the harmon kardon soundsticks II sound on the macbook? same volume level or is it boosted by external speakers?

OP
iSebastianGrey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After having some experience with it now, they don't seem to be so bad. The quality is great. The volume's a bit low, but I don't have to contend with too many loud noises. And I'm probably just going to use headphones when in public. I appreciate the posts!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.