Questions from a newb

Reaction score
I am starting to get the feel of working with this Imac. I have a couple of questions to ask already.

1. I know this was asked just a while back but I couldn't find it. Is there a way to make the mouse react a little more Windows-like?

2. Is the mail program that comes in OS X a good alternate for Outlook as a home email program? I guess I am asking if there are any basic features I will be loosing if I fully switch.

I know there will be more questions later. I have learned a lot from lurking here over the last couple of weeks. This board was the place that sent me over the edge to buy a Mac in the first place, thank you.

T

todd51

1. Not sure what you mean on the way the mouse reacts. If your talking about the speed of it, I have just turned it all the way up, and I got used to it sine I noticed it seemed to move a bit slower than my old PC mouse.

2. There is the standard Mail client that comes with OSX. Of course there is also Thunderbird that is free from Mozilla that I hear is really good. I also hear great things from Entourage which comes with Microsoft Office for Mac. Your choice

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
If you go to the System Preferences and open up Keyboard & Mouse there are settings in there to adjust the speed, click speed, and configure the buttons (if you have a 2 button mouse).

I use Entourage and I love it. It is similar yet different to Outlook on the PC. I have not used the Mail program integrated in OS X so I cannot speak to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The only "Windows like" feature that you cannot get a Mac mouse to do is "snap to", where the mouse pointer moves to the default selection. There is third party shareware that will add this, but it is not supported by default on the Mac. Other than that, I don't notice much difference.

Re Mail, it is a very good email client. I don't think you will be losing anything - you may in fact be gaining. Of course there is also the excellent Thunderbird client from Mozilla.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am starting to get the feel of working with this Imac. I have a couple of questions to ask already.

1. I know this was asked just a while back but I couldn't find it. Is there a way to make the mouse react a little more Windows-like?

I believe it's the acceleration curve you're annoyed by as I was. If that's the case, check out SteerMouse. That works wonders with external mice. If it's the trackpad, that's a different story.

2. Is the mail program that comes in OS X a good alternate for Outlook as a home email program? I guess I am asking if there are any basic features I will be loosing if I fully switch.

I know there will be more questions later. I have learned a lot from lurking here over the last couple of weeks. This board was the place that sent me over the edge to buy a Mac in the first place, thank you.

Mail compares well to Outlook Express, but it's not a full Personal Information Manager like Outlook. It is designed mostly as an Email program (as the name implies). If you need something more like Outlook, Entourage (included with Office:mac) is much closer.

OP
K
Reaction score
Steermouse was the one I saw. Thanks.

Thanks to all for the mail suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.