no sound from internal speakers ONLY

Reaction score
I am getting no startup sounds at all, and the Built-In Audio is not working. Headphones and speakers work fine however. I have scoured boards and have made sure my system prefs were okay and that audio midi assistant had the right numbers. I do not need to have that speaker work. I just want to make sure this is not a sign of a failing logic board or any other big mishap. It is a Power Mac G5 runing 10.4.8, 1 GB RAM...here is what I have done:

I have reset the PRAM, ran all TechTool diagnostics as well as Mac's hardware tests, repaired permissions, ditched the sound.plist, restarted, checked the connection inside the tower, created a new user, to no avail.

Don't need it, but should I worry about it. If it were the sound card, I would think that no speakers/headphones would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
The internal speaker is most likely bad.

Reaction score
I had the same problem but just went to the Trash, saw i had only a recovered file in there, binned it, restarted and all was fixed. Hope this works for you ...or anyone else ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.