Process name: Find

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
There is a process called find in my activity monitor thats using 20% of my CPU - what is this and why is it using so much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I'm not positive, but I think find is what Spotlight uses to index the hard drive.

Reaction score
/usr/bin/find

It's a UNIX command used to search through an entire, or just part of a, system to find a specific file, or anything matching a pattern. I know that Delocalizer uses it when it's trying to find things, but I don't know of any other program offhand that does. Although, due to its nature, I highly doubt that Spotlight would be using it. It would most likely run updatedb, then use the locate database to make its own.

The gist of this: Doubtful (But not impossible) that Spotlight would use it. Do you have any other programs running at the same time that would be looking for something? Anything at all?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.