Darwin Wine vs Crossover Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook; 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive
Im baffled can anyone help?

can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between wine and crossover mac, if there is one.

If there is:
which one is better
which one works
is therethere any major problems with any

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Your confusion is quite understandable. Both derive from the same root software. Wine is the open source version, and Crossover is a product built on that base. In general, Crossover is the more advanced of the two. The commercial imperative seems to have led them to develop and test more stuff, more quickly, than wine.

However, I would advise not using either if you can avoid it. Whatever it is you want to run under Wine/Crossover, I would bet there is an equivalent Mac program.

Could we put that theory to the test? Tell us what program you are trying to run and we will see if we can point you to a Mac equivalent.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook; 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive
Thanks for the reply

minitab... for uni....which they dont yet do a mac version of yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
Just thought I'd jump in here, as I only use my PC Notebook for one thing (and if I could find a Mac equivelant, I'd be a very happy bunny):

Ross Tech Vag-Com : Link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
In general, Crossover is the more advanced of the two. The commercial imperative seems to have led them to develop and test more stuff, more quickly, than wine.

Yes, the focus is completely different. The focus of the Wine project is to get API compatibility, without focussing on any particular API or compatibility issue. The target is "everything". The Crossover approach is much more pragmatic, starting with particular targets (MS Office, Internet Explorer or DirectX, for example) and making those APIs the priority. The stuff that isn't needed can get left for later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.