using my gmail account with mac mail

Reaction score
Hey guys-

Have any of you had problems using mac mail without having a .mac account? I'm trying to use gmail with it. I followed the directions on gmail as to how to do it, but I never worked! I re-did it a few times thinking I had made a mistake, but still it never worked.

Then today I was on Amazon looking at a CD on there (alesana :headphone ) and all of a sudden my mac mail opened by iteself and i had a buncha "new" messages that popped up. Ones that were sent to my gmail! I'm guessing I accidentally clicked on "email this web page" or something like that?? But anyways I was really excited until I tried to SEND an email, and got this message: "Cannot send message using the server smtp.gmail.com

The server response was 5.5.1 Authentication Required w43sm6672690pyg

Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings.

Message from: <my name was written here>
<my gmail address was here>

Send message using: <here was the pop-up menu, it had only one option: smtp.gmail.com>"

then i had these options: edit message, use selected server, and try again later

What am I doing wrong?????!!!!!!

any help would be awesome.
THANKS!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Under Account Settings in Mail look at the bottom for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP). Click Server Settings and set it to Password and then your gmail username and password.

OP
D
Reaction score
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!
I remember setting a password before, but when that didn't work I un-did it. I ALMOST didn't try what you said because I had done it before. BUT I DID ANYWAYS AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

dtravis7 = lifesaver

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the forums but I came across this when I was having the same error message, my problem was that I was sending a very large file and I think the server wouldn't allow it. (at least for Gmail) and it said it couldn't send it. Anyway, I deleted the outbox message and then tried sending myself another message and it worked fine. Just a thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.