G4 strange graphics display problem

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is hardware or software, so excuse my faux pas ....

DeskProblem.jpg

This is a picture of my monitors. I can't even be sure if you see the picture the same way I do, so I will describe. My monitor displays all icons with black 'tic marks' covering them. The rest of the screen looks like it was smeared with a bamboo mat dipped in process blue and yellow ink and then pixelated. The pixelated color bamboo mat smears change as I drag images up and down, on and off screen.

This problem started about 3 weeks ago, and I am not certain what has caused it. No specifically new software was installed, aside from newer versions of VLC and NORTON ANTIVIRUS (to solve the problem). There might have been an OS update in that time, but I can't remember.

I have repaired disk permissions and disks, and run full up-to-date virus tests. Nothing. And it didn't help.

The problem will sometimes be active when I start the computer, but appears when the OS kicks in with the drives and menu bar. Sometimes it doesn't appear until I begin a graphics program like Photoshop, or a game like Unreal Tournament 99.

Computer : MDD G4 twin 1.25Ghz 2GB DDR RAM, two Apple monitors (purchased with computer). OSX 10.4.8.

Help anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Those are artifacts. The GFX card needs to be replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yep, same thing happened to me.

Your graphics card is ready to go to the big scrapyard in the sky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.