Put Your Mac to Sleep In 3 Easy Keystrokes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi All, I found this on the Apple power tips website and it is so valuable (to me at least) that I thought I would share it here. Hopefully, some of you may find it of use.

Do you put your Mac to sleep each night? Instead of how you do it now, try this out - pretty slick. Hold down the CMD, Option and Media Eject Keys for a second or two. Boom! Your Mac is "out cold". It is so simple and so fast. I love it.

By the way, here is the original page:

http://www.apple.com/ca/pro/tips/quicksleep.html

There are tons of great tips on the parent page to this one. Check it out. Fun reading.

H

hiohokaybye

Shut down : ctrl + alt + apple + eject
Restart : ctrl + apple + eject
Force Quit : alt + apple + esc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reaction score
Hi All, I found this on the Apple power tips website and it is so valuable (to me at least) that I thought I would share it here. Hopefully, some of you may find it of use.

Do you put your Mac to sleep each night? Instead of how you do it now, try this out - pretty slick. Hold down the CMD, Option and Media Eject Keys for a second or two. Boom! Your Mac is "out cold". It is so simple and so fast. I love it.

By the way, here is the original page:

http://www.apple.com/ca/pro/tips/quicksleep.html

There are tons of great tips on the parent page to this one. Check it out. Fun reading.

Those keyboard shortcuts are cool mac57, thanks for that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
nifty nifty. But being on a macbook, there's an easier option available to me. Close the lid. To shut down, I usually just hit the power button (not holding it) and press return.

I love finding out these little short cuts. Another one I discovered by chance (although pretty much useless) is to hold ctrl+opt+command and use < and > to decrease and increase monitor contrast respectively. Just don't leave it up, as I must have done on my iBook before I learned this shortcut. For years I thought the calibration was busted :p heheh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Virtual Reputation Point to mac57

mac57, this is a virtual reputation point (as the system won't let me give you another just yet). Very cool shortcut w/ nice followups from hiohokaybye. Most cool! :p

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks mathogre - virtual points much appreciated! Glad I could help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.