Just ordered a macbook pro.. so exciting!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Hey all,

So I've been thinking about buying a mac since 2005. I was actually going to but bought a dell instead. Big mistake. So yesterday I took the plunge and ordered a 15.4" MBP, with 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM and a glossy screen. I'm a student so I got the discount, plus a cool case, mac office student edition and a new ipod nano 8gb.. Cost me an absolute arm and a leg. (Although i can get a further rebate on the ipod and mac office).

I've been holding off my purchase just in case of an upgrade, but I start university on feb 19 and need it before i move so I had to take the plunge yesterday. I was actually going to get a macbook, but decided not to at the last minute.. it just seemed too small. I dunno, call me crazy. So anyway, a couple of questions,

1. Having never, ever used, or even seen a MAC in person, any recommendations on what I should be reading or whatever before it arrives? Obviously I'm not going to know the first thing about it (even though i'm a bit of a whiz on the pc). Haha. I'm a little worried actually, although I have read the "switchers guide to OSX" which was really helpful and i picked out some software I'm going to download.

2. If OSX 10.5 gets released in say, a months time, would I get the upgrade for free? Or is it sorta like, bad luck. 'Cos I'm a 17 year old student who just forked out close to AU$4000, I can't afford to upgrade for about 6 or 12 months.

Cheers.
*eagerly awaiting my new macbook pro*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think if you buy within 30 before the release, you can get the upgrade cheaper. I'd recommend The Missing Manual for Tiger as a good read and will help with the transition. Its in depth, and very well written.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll love your new Mac.

As for upgrading to Leopard. For starters, you won't be paying full price for it. The current retail price for Tiger is $129 but students only pay $79 (hopefully Leopard will cost the same), which is great. As for its release date, it's officially scheduled for "Spring 2007", but rumors have it pegged for March 2007. So unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck with not being able to get a free upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Worry not. If you've ordered a Macbook Pro with those specifications you will not need to upgrade it for quite awhile. Two years ago I bought a Mac Mini and 'upgraded' to a Macbook with Intel. I don't see any need to upgrade anytime in the near future with all the cool stuff that this machine comes with.

For a Macbook Pro you'll be good for at least two years, if not more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.