What is X11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Hi All,

I'm a new Mac Owner, I managed to already bungle up the OS (part of the learning process I suppose). Upon reinstall using the Apple provided DVDs I notice that the option for X11 is unchecked by default, I have no idea what this does, do you? --Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
X11 is a graphical environment that is widely in use in the Unix and Linux worlds and has been for many, many years. A great majority of the open source Linux programs available out there, such as GIMP, use X11 as their interface to the graphical environment as a result. Since Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, a unix variant, it also supports X11, and includes it on the install disks.

You don't need X11 unless you want to run open source software on your Mac, such as GIMP or such things as the excellent gnumeric spreadsheet.

Reaction score
How do I enable x11, i'm trying to install open office, but x11's newest download is Outdated by a newer version detected on my mac, but where is it? and where is it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
How do I enable x11, i'm trying to install open office, but x11's newest download is Outdated by a newer version detected on my mac, but where is it? and where is it

Most likely you need to install the x11 app from your install dvd. Here is the process I used (note I am using a Tiger install DVD, not a recovery disc set... it should be included with the restore cds too... I am just not 100% positive if it's in the same spot)

Anyways, the process I used from my Tiger DVD...

After the DVD is mounted in OS X navigate the disc in finder... when you scroll down you see the "optional installs" icon. Click on that. From here it's pretty much a breeze... when you get to installation type x11 is at the bottom of the applications list (click the arrow to reveal all the optional install applications). Install x11.

It should now run automatically when you use a program that requires it.

You can check in Applications -> Utilities to see if it's installed.

I hope this helps.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi All,

I'm a new Mac Owner, I managed to already bungle up the OS (part of the learning process I suppose). Upon reinstall using the Apple provided DVDs I notice that the option for X11 is unchecked by default, I have no idea what this does, do you? --Thanks

I think the other posters have answered your question - but I wanted to add this comment. Mac OS is not Windows. Reinstalling the OS is usually not necessary. I'm curious to understand what exactly happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.