Any suggtions on how to get this network printer to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Hi All!

Trying to get this Dell (rebadged Lexmark) All In One 962 printer to work with my MacBook Pro. Any suggestions? THis printer is not directly connecte to the MacBook, it is a Networked printer.

Thanks!
JP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What is it connected to and what else is on your network? have you downloaded the drivers for it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi All!

Trying to get this Dell (rebadged Lexmark) All In One 962 printer to work with my MacBook Pro. Any suggestions? THis printer is not directly connecte to the MacBook, it is a Networked printer.

Thanks!
JP

I take it Dell doesn't supply Apple drivers. I didn't think they would. Have you been able to determine the equivalent model Lexmark unit? If so, and they have a compatible Mac driver, try that. If not, try this driver:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/lexmarkprinterdrivers.html

If that doesn't work, you might try downloading the latest Gimp-print drivers for OS X (this is a distribution of CUPS printer drivers originally developed for Linux, but also available for OS X).

If there is no direct support for your printer model (which it doesn't list any Dell printers whatsoever, so you'd need to determine your Lexmark equivalent), this link will suggest a more generic driver for your model.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

You can download the latest Gimp-print drivers here:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

If you're able to find a driver or something that is functional, but not model specific when locally attached, then all you need to do is set up a connection using LPD. You'll need to know the print server's LPD/LPR queue name which might be difficult to determine, but not impossible if you Google it.

Once you have the IP address, LPD/LPR queue name and a workable driver, just open the Print & Fax control panel and then click the +. Choose "Line Printer Daemon - LPD" from protocol and fill in the blanks.

If you still can't find a driver, my only other suggestion would be to try Googling your printer model number and the terms "Mac" or "OS X" and see what you can dig up.

I have a feeling this might not be the easiest printer to setup in OS X, so you're in for a bit of an uphill climb. Good luck.

OP
jprez1980
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Cwa107,

Thanks for doing the digging lol. I will give this a try first thing tomorrow, my MacBook is currently in the proces of importing about 70 gigs of music over a network connection with no internet so I can't install the driver yet =(.

Thanks again!

OP
jprez1980
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Unfortunately it didn't work, it couldn't sense my networked printer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dell Network Adapter had something to do with it.
Thanks for the help though. Looks like I'm going to need to buy a cheapy printer for this or use parallels and print from there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately it didn't work, it couldn't sense my networked printer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dell Network Adapter had something to do with it.
Thanks for the help though. Looks like I'm going to need to buy a cheapy printer for this or use parallels and print from there.

If the driver is "network-aware" (and it should be), it's just a matter of establishing an LPD connection which is the most common protocol for networked printers even if it doesn't look like Windows is using it. Go into Properties for the printer on your Windows machine. Go into the Ports tab and get the properties for the network port Setup configured. If you dig deep enough in there, you should be able to determine the server name and queue name, you're in business. We can then use those to set up an LPD connection on your Mac.

Reaction score
One other thought. I as assuming that you dell printer is hooked up to your windows machine? Did you check to make sure that your printer is shared? Are you having any other problems with the network like not being able to see shared files that are on your windows machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.