I want to buy a macbook questions....Please Help

Reaction score
Well after a long debate I want to move from PC's to a mac. I want to buy a macbook, now basically I only use the computer for Internet, music and burning stuff. I am aware the mac dosent need virus protection but dose it need any security apps or a firewall.
2. Can it play windows media files
3. Can i burn a slideshow of pictures to a dvd with ease
4. Is it easy to install software like in windows.
Thats about it thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
1. Mac OS X has a built in firewall, that's all I use in terms of security apps.
2. It can play some WM files. You need flip4mac plugin for some, and vlc for some others.
3. Yes
4. Even easy most of the time.

Reaction score
G'day happy420 & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Welcome to the world of macs too! If you decide on a MacBook it'll have an inbuilt FireWall which you should enable but that's about all you'll need unless you run Windows via Parallel or BootCamp. Then of course, you'll need the same protection you'd need on any PC, but only for the Windows OS, not the Mac OS ... This link is an excellent read on the subject.

Macs will play WMV (Click Link) with the help of Flip4Mac, which enables QuickTime to play these files. As StretchR above mentions, VLC is indispensable too.

With iMovie & iDVD you can achieve this easily. iLife'07 will be preinstalled on any new mac you buy, and most likely also installed on any 2nd hand mac too.

Installing software can be a little confusing when you cross over to a Mac from a PC, but only because it's dazzlingly easier to install/uninstall software on Macs and this confuses some. There is plenty of information found in this Forum pertaining to this subject.

Feel free to ask any other questions and browse through the Switchers section of Mac-Forums. There's a plethora of info there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.