Deleting Posts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think that we need to give the ability to delete your own posts to members. Maybe not arbitrarily to everyone, base it on post count, time as a member, rep, whatever. I just made an accidental double post and it would be nice if I had the ability to remove it myself.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Yes. Thats a great idea... or maybe something like all users over 500 or 1000 posts get special rights... though it would cut down on work for the mods if everyone could delete double posts... it is pretty open ended, oh and does this forum even support something like that?

I think this is a very good idea!! Rep added!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, very good idea.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is pretty open ended, oh and does this forum even support something like that?

Yes it does. iLounge does this for their senior members and it makes life so much easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Please don't misinterpret this, but how do you make an *accidental* double post?

That having been said, there has been an occassion or two where I wished I could go back and delete a post I had made.

You can of course, sort of achieve this result, by editing said post and more or less eliminating its content.

Aside from the double post scenario, what other uses would you see existing for this sort of priveledge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Once I had a few windows open and posted in the wrong thread. I felt a little bit stupid. My edit was a worthless apology that was out of place. I felt like a heel and wished I could have deleted it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When you click on the edit button, isn't there a save, go advanced, delete and cancel buttons?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you click on the edit button, isn't there a save, go advanced, delete and cancel buttons?

Not for the normal user. On another forum where I am a Mod I do have that option but not as a normal user.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
doesn't the board require a certain length of time between posts? i think i almost double posted once and it kept me from doing it because i was within 30 seconds or something maybe...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think it would be a good idea to allow the removing of a post AS LONG AS no one had replied to your post yet.

Reaction score
Aren't you talking about deleting a Thread there RNDdave? We're referring mainly to posts that you create then want to remove seconds after you've made it for various reasons or simply an accidental double-post.

I don't think anyone means deleting a thread they created and one that has answers....don't think that would actually work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I am referring to both a thread and a post.

Suppose I do a search for something, don't find what I'm looking for so then make a new thread. I then think of another search term and do another search - ah my question has already been answered or there is another thread discussing the new announcement I saw on Digg - I would like to remove the thread and raise my question or point of view in the existing thread.

Just a thought

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't misinterpret this, but how do you make an *accidental* double post?

That having been said, there has been an occassion or two where I wished I could go back and delete a post I had made.

You can of course, sort of achieve this result, by editing said post and more or less eliminating its content.

Aside from the double post scenario, what other uses would you see existing for this sort of priveledge?

I responded to my own post via REPLY vice EDIT. Yes, you can edit it, as I did, but it's still there and the staff probably won't ditch it. I find it useful to be able to check yourself if you say something dumb on occasion. I have also had issues with poor internet connections that end up double posting from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Makes sense baggss - now that I think of it, I have wanted to delete a dumb post from time to time.

Reaction score
Funny, even with the "delete post" option the admins and mods can read your deleted posts.

Just sayin'.
rofl3.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, 4x2TB HDDs
Well I know I would like to delete a post that I forgot to add the attachment to ... yea, I can admit it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I think this is a very good idea... There have been some occasions that I had whished to delete a post I made.

Well I know I would like to delete a post that I forgot to add the attachment to ... yea, I can admit it
And maulrat1967 - you can add attachments to posts you made while you can still edit them
just:
click edit on your post,
click go advanced,
scroll down,
click 'manage attachments',
and browse for you file + upload it...

M

MacHeadCase

I, speaking as a member here, not as staff, think that things as they are are fine : members have 24 hours to edit posts as it stands now so you can add attachments you might have forgotten previously.

I am also thinking in terms of people with suspect intents in a forum : I was a member in a forum where we could delete our posts. One member would post offending remarks then delete his posts, so when you complained to the forum staff, you had no proof. After a time, we knew he'd do stuff like that so we had to catch his posts before he deleted them and take screenshots : eventually, the member in question was banned for his behaviour.

In Mac-Forums, you can edit out offending posts, it's true, but at least after five minutes it shows below the post that the text in the reply box was edited or altered : it won't show what was changed but at least we can all see that the member changed his reply.

So for those reasons, I think settings should remain as they are now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.