RAM upgrade for MBP - help??

Reaction score
So I got my new 15" MBP about two weeks ago. I got the stripped down version with only 1 gig of RAM because I knew I could add in 3rd party RAM for less money. I purchased Parallels along with the system and have it installed and definitely see where 2 gigs of RAM will come in handy. I notice the MBP is capable of up to 3 gigs though. So here are my questions:

1. Whether or not I do 2 or 3 gigs, does it matter if I mix memory brands? Is it okay to mix the 1 gig of the "apple" RAM with some other brand? I know in PCs you may avoid problems if you make sure all of your RAM is the same.

2. Since the system can take 3 gigs, is it possible to buy a 2gb stick of RAM to add to the 1gb? Or do you have to go with two 2gb sticks and have the computer only work with 3 of 4gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
For the answer to number two: you would have a 1gb stick and a 2gb stick...i guess you could buy 2x2gb sticks but that would be an awful waste or money. And for number one i beleive it is better to have all the same type of memory but you can mix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
The brand is irrelevent. However you need to make sure the specs are all the same. You could leave the 1GB in and purchase a 2GB for crucial, Kingston, PNY, etc. You just need to make sure its pc2-5300 200pin 667Mhz DDR2 SODIMM.

OP
N
Reaction score
Does it negatively affect performance at all having one 2gb stick and a 1gb stick? Are there different latencies between the two sizes? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I really want to up my RAM asap and also do it without getting ripped off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
It will work fine. The memory needs to be all the same speed, form factor, technology, etc. There would be no additional latency if you went with the 2GB instead of the 1GB you purchased. Its all the same speed utilizing the same memory bus.

Enjoy! I know I LOve my MBP!!!!!

Reaction score
Anyone know why/if the 2GB SODIMM's are going to drop in price? Such a big difference between two 1GB SODIMM's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.