First Impressions...

Reaction score
Ok.... First impression was disappointment.

Why?

This is how it came to me....Brown box...no nice black wrapping or anything :(

Ok...I can deal....

Second impressions....WOW...thing is so **** thin! No blemishes as I can see.

Everyone in the office, except for the boss, was like...holy shiz..that is beautiful..

I could not believe how thin it is...

Now the boss is a different story. First off, I work with my father...he is the boss :)

I gave him a check this morning for the price of the macbook, long story. He said to me... "There is no way it only cost that much...."

LOL...he said..." so no cd huh "

I said..." umm right here :)"

Well it booted right up....I did notice one thing. There doesn't seem to be any double tap function on the touchpad? Wierd...no biggie.

Second..once it booted up, it tells me there are updates...I am like:

"Kewl. It has updates all ready to go"

Well it seems that it automatically connected to some wireless network in the building and started to check for updates..... lol....

(My father is asking me questions, like....do they have servers etc :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Just wanted to let you know, there are double tap options, as well as scrolling options with the trackpad. Go to System Prefrences>Keyboard and Mouse and you can select "Clicking" or "Use two fingers for scroll". I love the scrolling and double tap. They are almost intelligent and they work so well!

Have fun with the new toy.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know, there are double tap options, as well as scrolling options with the trackpad. Go to System Prefrences>Keyboard and Mouse and you can select "Clicking" or "Use two fingers for scroll". I love the scrolling and double tap. They are almost intelligent and they work so well!

Found that stuff... thanks....

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score

How about right clicks?

I am having a **** of a time finding those..

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
30 Min Update:

Took me 30 mins to realize that all the options menus and TOP menu's that would normally be in the title bar of a XP app is on the top of the screen on a Mac....boy was I confused :)

The big boss (father) has been in every 5 min to see how it is going....

I have gotten more work done on the mac in 30 min, then the xp all morning :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
How about right clicks?

I am having a **** of a time finding those..

Hold the ctrl button and click, that will give you the right-click menu.. Either that, or use a 2-button mouse. I also beleive that there is a setting within Mouse/Keyboard prefs that you can use the trackpad to right-click as well. (Don't have a new Mac so I can't be for sure).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
"Right" click is called "Secondary" click in OS X (which makes sense, because when you find out how to do it you realise that 'left' and 'right' aren't really useful ways of labelling them).

To normally secondary click, press control when you click. To use the funky new double-finger click, go to the Trackpad section in System Preferences and check the 'Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click' option.

Then, just put two fingers instead of one on the trackpad and any click will be a secondary click. I usually use my index finger for normal cursor control and index/middle for secondary click. This is the same finger as I'd use on a real mouse so it's easy to get used to.

M

MacHeadCase

A brown box? It can't be! One of the sexiest moments is when you take it out of its box, Apple really knows how to make cool packaging... Why a brown box? What a bummer!... :eek:

As an example, I took these photos when I unpacked my iMac G5 a little over a year ago.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Ok, it has been almost 5-6 hours since I have gotten my machine.

I have to be honest and say that I am floored by how it runs....

Smooth.

I installed the printer drivers etc and no issues. It just ummmm works!

I have had only two 'issues'

1) Everytime I bring up entourage it keeps trying to sync EVERY folder and takes about 20 min and seems to always be in 'sync'ing mode. So it doesn't show any new mail.
Considering I have a exchange server account I need to use this. So I have to try and figure this out.

2)Second is trying to get 'The missing Sync for Pocket pc' working.

I am having G3 - Live in Tokyo playing in half screen. Also probably about 4 or 5 other programs running at the same time and the laptop is not slowing at all. Amazing.

The min, max, and close buttons being on the other side take some getting used to, but that is normal I think.

Also when clicking the red circle I expect the program to actually close, but I find that the program still has a little arrow in the dashboard, so I guess it is just minimizing the program.

Because of how smooth the surface is, I am finding I am hitting the touchpad with my palm. No biggie, it is flat on my desk right now, so therefore it is not angled correctly.

Here are some of my initial questions:

How do I get Safari to save my tabs and pages so that when I put it to sleep or close the browser down it saves them and reopens them when I come back?

Also is there a password, and web page username and password filler for mac? I was using Roboform on my XP machine and liked it very much. They don't have a mac version.

Well I am going to try and get back to work real quickly and will post more later tonight.

BTW the Brown box was a REAL bummer as I know that the black box is HALF the experiance when receiving it!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I've had my MacBook for almost 3 weeks and I keep finding new things about it. I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
oh and I'm not sure if you will be able to use the PocketPC with a mac since it's Windows based...at least mine is. However, if you can...let me know how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Did you get a refurb model? Refurbs have the brown box.

The SafariStand plugin will let you save your open tabs in safari. And Safari has the login stuff built in. When you login it should have a window pop up asking if you want to remember the username and stuff.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
The ONLY thing I am thinking about with this machine is that maybe I should have gotten the 17" :)

Hmmmm 14 days to decide I guess!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A brown box? It can't be! One of the sexiest moments is when you take it out of its box, Apple really knows how to make cool packaging... Why a brown box? What a bummer!... :eek:

As an example, I took these photos when I unpacked my iMac G5 a little over a year ago.

My refurbished machine came in a brown box labeled "Apple Certified Reconditioned Product". I'm pretty sure DeathToToasters also had a refurbished unit.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
My refurbished machine came in a brown box labeled "Apple Certified Reconditioned Product". I'm pretty sure DeathToToasters also had a refurbished unit.

Yup.....kinda buzzkill...but that is alright.

Hey home come all of a sudden I have a "inet Interactive browser bar" on top of my safari?

I thought I got rid of all this shiz with windoze!

EDIT:

It is on the top of the acutal webpage...not the browser.....ok, calming down :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
snip
Also when clicking the red circle I expect the program to actually close, but I find that the program still has a little arrow in the dashboard, so I guess it is just minimizing the program.

The red circle is not 'close' on the Mac, it is 'hide'. To close a window use Command-Q or right-click the icon in the Dock and choose 'Quit'.

Because of how smooth the surface is, I am finding I am hitting the touchpad with my palm. No biggie, it is flat on my desk right now, so therefore it is not angled correctly.

You can enable "ignore accidental trackpad input" in the System Preferences.

Here are some of my initial questions:

How do I get Safari to save my tabs and pages so that when I put it to sleep or close the browser down it saves them and reopens them when I come back?

Not sure about Safari, but may I recommend that you try Firefox instead? Safari is OK, but IMO, Firefox is a far superior browser in most aspects.

Also is there a password, and web page username and password filler for mac? I was using Roboform on my XP machine and liked it very much. They don't have a mac version.

Firefox will do this for you (check in Preferences), again, not sure about Safari

Well I am going to try and get back to work real quickly and will post more later tonight.

BTW the Brown box was a REAL bummer as I know that the black box is HALF the experiance when receiving it!!

It's the only detriment to buying a refurb, my friend. Personally I'll take the $300-500 saved over the cost of a new machine and forgo the fancy box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.