What's so great about Camino?

pod

Reaction score
A friend has just advised me to use Camino instead of Safari as my web browser (I run OSX Tiger 10.4.8)... he didn't give me specific reasons though

... so... why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
A friend has just advised me to use Camino instead of Safari as my web browser (I run OSX Tiger 10.4.8)... he didn't give me specific reasons though

... so... why?

"The Camino Project has worked to create a browser that is as functional and elegant as the computers it runs on. The Camino web browser is powerful, secure, and ready to meet the needs of all users while remaining simple and elegant in its design.

Camino combines the awesome visual and behavioral experience that has been central to the Macintosh philosophy with the powerful web-browsing capabilities of the Gecko rendering engine. Built and tested by thousands of volunteers, Mozilla’s Gecko brings cutting-edge innovations and capabilities to users in a standards-friendly and socially responsible form."

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
That all sounds very impressive... but in 'layman's terms', what will I get out of Camino that I don't from Safari?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That all sounds very impressive... but in 'layman's terms', what will I get out of Camino that I don't from Safari?...

why not just download it and try it? if you dont like like it, trash it.
Its just a different layout.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Sorry if my last answer was a bit flippant ;o)... but I quite like the 'look' of Safari so I'll give Camino a miss...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry if my last answer was a bit flippant ;o)... but I quite like the 'look' of Safari so I'll give Camino a miss...

thats just my opinion, wait for someone else to respond maybe they have some geewiz answer as to why its better than safari.

Reaction score
I'll have to try again later..the DL wasn't responding.
tantrum2.gif

Reaction score
OK I DLed Camino...

Looks kinda nice BUT am I missing something? Does it not have a Safari-like built in spell checker? If not that's a deal breaker for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Perhaps the reason to like Camino is on its web page... and I quote:

It's brisk, baby.

In short, Camino seems faster than Safari. In my experience, it *is* faster to load, and *seems* faster to load some pages, but I don't find this compelling enough to offset Safari's integration into other Mac OS X elements, such as Mail.

In the end, it is a purely personal decision. Use the browser you like best! Try it out for sure, and see for yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
No it doesn't have a spell checker. The only difference really is that it uses the Gecko engine used in FireFox, so in theory it will render pages more quickly. It also uses the native Cocoa interface so it fits nicely on your Mac, and is less light and has better loading times. All in all, I don't think the Gecko platform is worth upgrading over, I am happy with Safari's speed which to me is just as fast as Camino and Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Camino is not better than Safari.
Safari is not better than Camino.
The only thing that makes one browser "better" than another is your opinion of how the browser works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Camino works with all aspects of Myspace, while Safari does not. Theres one reason :)

Reaction score
Camino is not better than Safari.
Safari is not better than Camino.
The only thing that makes one browser "better" than another is your opinion of how the browser works for you.
I agree with this.

I (for some reason) always think there is something out there better than Safari but frankly there isn't!

M

MacHeadCase

There is one browser that is on the verge of surpassing Safari, I feel. It's Shiira.

Once it is out of beta, Shiira 2 will incorporate a lot of Safari's features that only come with add-ons such as Saft and SafariEnhancer and the rest. And it will support themes. There used to be a page detailing all the features Shiira 2 will include in its final version but I can't find it anymore.

It's based on the same rendering engine as Safari, Web Kit, so it's easy to compare them both.

Reaction score
There is one browser that is on the verge of surpassing Safari, I feel. It's Shiira.

Once it is out of beta, Shiira 2 will incorporate a lot of Safari's features that only come with add-ons such as Saft and SafariEnhancer and the rest. And it will support themes. There used to be a page detailing all the features Shiira 2 will include in its final version but I can't find it anymore.

It's based on the same rendering engine as Safari, Web Kit, so it's easy to compare them both.
Another browser?
spanky.gif

Always looking for the pot of gold huh? MCH...

I'm DLing now to test it out. Thanks for the link!
icon14.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Just to warn you, if you are downloading the Shiira 2 beta, its not very stable, and most of the features dont work yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.