Web address icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBookPro
Some sites have a personal icon appear in the browser address bar - how do you get your site to have one of those? I think it helps with marketing as if someone has you in their bookmarks if they are scrolling through the list they would spot yours because it would stand out more.

Any ideas of how to do it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Its a Favicon. I can't remember how to put them up, as I haven't updated my site for one. A google search should bring up some tips on how to do it.

OP
caveman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBookPro
ah yes I think I've heard of them but never knew what it was! Thanks I'll get googlin'

Reaction score
Or, you could do what I did once... use a bit of PHP, and the <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico"> code to allow for randomized icons. because, remember: The 'favicon.ico' part of that simply tells the browser what to use, otherwise it defaults to the favicon.ico file at the root of your site.

Now, for that code, it's been quite awhile since I've done random numbers in PHP, so...

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo("icon".rand(1, 3).".gif") ?>">

Only reason I'm really doing this is to show that whatever you put in the tag will act as one. (Note: If you want to use that random code, you need to save the page as .php, instead of .html. The actual usage is the same beyond that, though.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.