• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

what's the percentage of mac users to pc users/owners?

Reaction score
i was just thinking about how mac users were in my estimation, probably only about 10 percent compared to p.c..... i was wondering if it could be the dividing rod for the global population control people one day.

tongue stuck to cheek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Last I heard, it was less than 5%

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Last I heard, it was less than 5%

Last figures I seen it was 6% in the US. I would love to see the world figures. One countries figures are pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone
mac/pc

A lot more students are now switching to mac. A lot of students at my university use it more. I switched a few months ago. I think its more to do with the design and " cool factor" the brand apple has maintained.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
For me the switch was a while ago when I bought an ibook, but it was always a second system. The the intels came out. And I only run PC with Intel cores, I trust them I have never had a chip die always something else first or a few things. So that enabled me to have the best of both worlds (OS X and intel).

Its good to see that people are even considering macs when buying a new system, regardless of why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
OS Market share for Dec 2006

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2

Not too sure about the accuracy of this but it gives you an idea.

We use a unique methodology for collecting this data. We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on demand network of small to medium enterprise live stats customers. The sample size for these sites is more than 40,000 urls and growing. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is summarized on a monthly basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do NOT confuse Market share with installed user base. Market share is measured by how many computers a company sells on a quarterly basis, not really a good number. Installed user base is entirely different. Using market share in this case is extremely misleading.

There are millions of Mac users/owners out there. Many own both Macs AND PCs, so how do you classify them? The installed Mac user base is somewhere around 15-20% of the computer using world, if you count the examples I gave above. Mac users tend to upgrade or buy new machines only half as often as PC users do, so machines remain in use for longer periods of time.

Reaction score
A lot more students are now switching to mac. A lot of students at my university use it more. I switched a few months ago. I think its more to do with the design and " cool factor" the brand apple has maintained.

The cool factor has a lot to do with it on campuses. For 'switchers' I find it can be any number of reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
There are 11 people that I know of from my division at work (73 people total)... although only about 50 of them own computers (several people live onboard the ship and don't need their own computer for email & such.) About 20% of the computer-owning population of my immediate peers at work own a Mac of some variety, the oldest being a G3 iMac or G3 iBook, the newest being a 17" C2D MBP... loaded. Needless to say, I'm a bit jealous... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.