FW800 HD and ProTools problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17": 2.33ghz, 160GB, Mac Pro 2.66: 1.25TB, 6GB RAM
Hey everyone, I've got a slight conundrum on my hands. I bought a 17" MBP about two months ago in hopes of switching my entire recording rig over to apple. I picked up a copy of ProTools M-Powered a few days ago and finally got around to setting everything up. I also picked up a 250GB Lacie external harddrive to complete the ensemble, and therein seems to lie the problem. Everytime I connect the harddrive via FW800 and try to access it from ProTools, I get the dark grey shadow over my scren and a message in six languages telling me to restart my computer. When I run PT without the harddrive powered up, its fine. When I use the harddrive without PT, its fine. When I connect the drive via USB or FW400 and try to access it from ProTools, its fine. I've tried switching out harddrives for an identical Lacie with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm gonna swing by the apple store tomorrow morning to try a Western Digital drive to see if that will help. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
have you done ALL the updates you can on both protools.com and m-audio.com? this is a strange issue ive never heard of. ill dig a bit today on it. let us know if you figure it out.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17": 2.33ghz, 160GB, Mac Pro 2.66: 1.25TB, 6GB RAM
Turns out it was me doing all the updates that was the problem. The latest M-Audio driver for the projectmix was causing a conflict between ProTools and the firewire bus on the Core2Duo's. Rolled back the driver two generations and all is well in the western world again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ok, good deal. ive had some issues with crazy drivers before. when youve got 50 things plugged in at once and youre sitting there ready to do a session its pretty frustrating. glad you figured it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.