Black Macbook Cleaning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I am looking for something to clean my Black Macbook. I have read some posts, but I have not read anything that said "I have a Black macbbok and I use (insert product here) to clean the case and track pad". Are there any Black macBook users out there that can suggest something that works well on the case and track pad?

I read some things on iKlear and they said that they lighten up the black MacBook. I just don't want to get something and find out the hard way that it will ruin the finish.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I am looking for something to clean my Black Macbook. I have read some posts, but I have not read anything that said "I have a Black macbbok and I use (insert product here) to clean the case and track pad". Are there any Black macBook users out there that can suggest something that works well on the case and track pad?

I read some things on iKlear and they said that they lighten up the black MacBook. I just don't want to get something and find out the hard way that it will ruin the finish.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

here is a good read on the subject

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=227950

my suggestion? a SMALL amount of dove soap and water.. whatever you choose make sure it has NO chemicals in it.. I would use the type of cloth you would use to clean a pair of glasses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'd like to know this as well. It looks like most of those posts where for the white macbook

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was stressing me out so I returned the MacBook and got a MacBook Pro! No more Black!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It was stressing me out so I returned the MacBook and got a MacBook Pro! No more Black!!!

That's the oddest reason I've ever heard for buying an MBP over a MBB. On the other hand, the MBP is sweet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
I too am very curious. This isnt the reason I went black, but I am very glad I did given the discoloration problems the white ones seems to be having. My cleaning issue is not necessarily immediate, but I am worried about the long term effects the oils will have on the housing and trackpad...

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, it wasn't the ONLY reason. It really was the straw that broke the camels back. i really wanted the dedicated video and the firewire 800. The cleaning issue did bother me but I could have lived with it. However this Pro is SWEET! I am glad I made that I made the switch.

I figure I am going to have this thing for a while so I better be satified with what I get. I am VERY satisfied now!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
This isnt the reason I went black, but I am very glad I did given the discoloration problems the white ones seems to be having.

The white macbook discolouration issues were fixed last August. Mine has the new keyboard on and it's the same as when I bought it, or close enough that I genuinely can't tell the difference :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
i took the plunge and tried gentle hand soap.. orange dial. i wet a papertowel and rung it out (with the soap) til it was damp. i cleaned the lid, keyboard, trackpad, and wrist rests.. success! be sure to follow with a dry papertowel. the oil and smudge marks are all gone! its been a couple days since the treatment and i see no negative results!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
My buddy uses clorox wipes to clean his. Sounds dangerous I know, but it seems to work well. Plus you get the disinfecting bonus. He's never had any weird discoloration or anything. Just something to keep in mind. Also, for the screen, don't even worry about buying screen wipes or anything. I've had worse luck with them. Just find a soft cloth and dampen it slightly, run it back and forth on the screen and then dry it off. Works like a charm.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Why is this text here? I don't know, do you?

I am obsessed with cleaning my MacBook Black - I just love it looking all clean and Matt. It's the grease from your hands that shows like anything, really ugly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
go to walmart then head to the car section there get ur self a pack or MICROFIBER towel(or cloth) those are very soft i use them on my car and white macbook. They will not scratch your finish.
To clean you need some water and some soap if ur mac is too greasy.

dampen one end and wipe ur mac then with the dry end take of the extra moisture thats on ur mac..............result clean as new.
Those microfiber towels are even softer than the ones u use to clean ur glases should cost u 4-$6 for a pack of 3

hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.