• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel, IBM Makes Microchip Breakthrough

Reaction score
there's some pretty good info at intel's website. i was just reading about all this stuff earlier today. it talks a little about how prototypes are already running OS X, vista, and linux for tests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
They can only get so far with microprocessors. Eventually they will meet the physical limits of what they can do. I wonder what they will do after that?

Reaction score
that sounds like something someone probably said back in the 80's, when today's technology was unimaginable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The article suggests that even at 45 nm, we can only increase chip speed by 20%. Are we forever locked into the 3 GHz to 4 GHz range? How depressing! I have read about 10 GHz parts using different technologies and have always been hopeful. As Subwall said, back in the 80's, who would have thought that we could have 3 GHz parts? I sure hope that this isn't the limit? I need *something* to make Photoshop go faster!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
This is all great news... if we stay in the 3-4ghz range, I might be able to stretch my PC's life until a terminal component failure... :D:D:D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They can only get so far with microprocessors. Eventually they will meet the physical limits of what they can do. I wonder what they will do after that?

People said the same things back when 100Mhz was the fastest processor money could buy.

The focus of chip manufacturers has simply turned away from improving throughput and processing speeds by increasing clock speed (which is not always a reliable means of measuring performance) to increasing the amount of cores on a single die. As more applications adopt multi-threaded capabilities that take advantage of multiple processors, performance will increase such that a 10 GHz CPU will be easily outpaced by a 2GHz CPU that runs 10 cores (or more).

Not only that, but you see a lot of examples where a higher-clock rate CPU is easily outpaced by a slower clock rate CPU by virtue of the fact that the "slower" CPU is more efficient (i.e. can process more data) per clock cycle. This is clearly evidenced by the Athlon XP chips when compared to their contemporary Intel equivalents.

Additionally, there's no reason that the die size can't be continually increased to accommodate an ever-growing number of cores. As manufacturing processes continue to evolve, however, newer processes will eventually allow for more cores to fit in the same amount of space that fewer cores did in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
The article suggests that even at 45 nm, we can only increase chip speed by 20%. Are we forever locked into the 3 GHz to 4 GHz range? How depressing! I have read about 10 GHz parts using different technologies and have always been hopeful. As Subwall said, back in the 80's, who would have thought that we could have 3 GHz parts? I sure hope that this isn't the limit? I need *something* to make Photoshop go faster!! :)
IBM POWER6 cpu's run at 5 Ghz. The highest a mac ever got was a POWER4 (G5).

Reaction score
"People said the same things back when 100Mhz was the fastest processor money could buy."

No.

We'll find a way around the physical limits anyway... There's still quantum processing and cell based processing as well as multi-core processing which we've just "broken" into recently in consumer devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.