Belkin Router Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I've had this router for about 6 months and it's ok at best. Right now airport will show full strength and then 10 seconds later my signal will dip so only the smallest two radar lines are filled in airport, then it's back up to full strength. I've restarted the router, my computer, unplugged things from the wall etc. So I'm thinking, will just buying, say, airport express help this situation. Podcast take half an hour to download, the 1080p trailer for the movie "300" is taking forever (132.4 mb out of 157.2 and itunes is estimating about 20 minutes till completion.)

This can't be normal and I'm clueless how to resolve it, short of a new router.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Could it be your connection speed causing the slow down and not the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
What is your internet connection speed? if your connection speed is slow it will cause very long d/l times.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
My airtrafficontrol widget is say 54mbps but there's no way. My ichat video sessions are VERY choppy and I've adjusted the prefs for low bandwidth. I just want it to be consistent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I use a Belkin router. The latest Airport update from Apple killed my connection- it became very spotty like you're describing. You can find instructions on macfixit.com for reverting back from this update (providing that you did install it).

You may also want to reset your DSL/cable modem in the proper sequence:
1. Turn your computer off.
2. Unplug the DSL/cable modem.
3. Unplug the wireless router.
4. Plug the DSL/cable modem back in and wait until the green lights stop flashing.
5. Plug the wireless router in and wait for the Internet light to turn solid green.
6. Turn your computer on.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I use a Belkin router. The latest Airport update from Apple killed my connection- it became very spotty like you're describing. You can find instructions on macfixit.com for reverting back from this update (providing that you did install it).

You may also want to reset your DSL/cable modem in the proper sequence:
1. Turn your computer off.
2. Unplug the DSL/cable modem.
3. Unplug the wireless router.
4. Plug the DSL/cable modem back in and wait until the green lights stop flashing.
5. Plug the wireless router in and wait for the Internet light to turn solid green.
6. Turn your computer on.

Thanks for the help Karudzo, I'll let you know how it goes. Btw, I'm in wilmington, small world;)
*note* I'm seeing a lot of airport extreme troubleshooting articles, is there a particular one I should be looking for?

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
HA HA! The Culprit was coconutwifi. I liked that program too. Anyway I was reading solutions on macfixit and that app was known to bog down internet connection speed and then I went to versiontracker to update and found out that even the update was still causing problems...so I deleted it.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Glad to help- hey, are you getting any snow/ice in Wilmington? We are here (not much).

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
no snow and ice here. Just raaaaaaain. I'm almost drowned trying to get from my car to my apt. lol. I feel like I've rediscovered the internet, this is great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.