Not sleeping when shut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
My roommate just told me that when he closes his MacBook Pro it doesn't go to sleep. He had it fully charged then brought it home and set it on the table (not plugged in) and when he got home from classes later in the afternoon the battery was depleted. Is there a setting that he needs to adjust in the Energy Saver settings? His battery's already been recalled by Apple so I doubt it's defective, it was sleeping until just recently -- within the last week or so. Any ideas?

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
its a mildly common problem....i have it too. I dont think there is a common thought on the cause of the problem, but mine comes and goes. I just hit COMMAND-OPTION-EJECT to put it to sleep before i close the lid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
sounds to me he is closing the lid to fast. the machine needs about 10-15 seconds to shut off after hitting sleep

how does he sleep the computer? just closing it? or actually telling it to sleep

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
He usually just closes the lid and the computer goes to sleep (I do the same with my PowerBook and I've yet to share the problem).

However, when he demonstrated it to me he opened iTunes and played a song then closed the lid while the song was playing. Could that have anything to do with the problem? He said usually the music stops playing when he shuts it and it goes to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
what SHOULD happen, is no matter what your doing, you close the lid and the computer sleeps.

Reaction score
Mine does that every once in awhile, I just restart and it starts working again..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
has he tried to repair his permissions?

sometimes that fixes the most god awful stupidest things on my laptop.

yea, my apple goes to sleep when its told, not matter what its doing :)

T

todd51

Usually when this would happen to me, I would just restart the computer and it went back to working again. Haven't had the problem in months now *knock*knock* ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.