Some like it hot, some like it cold. x.x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz C2D 1GBRAM 120GBHDD Red Apple Logo. :)
Okay, so I have had my macbook for a week... No complaints so far aside from the sharp edges which I have fixed...

Now, I want to know what the normal accepted operating/load temps are on these things. I have looked it up in there forums and on a couple sites and alot of the answers conflict with one another.

So I am hoping you fine people here can help me with your experience.
My system is:
A 2.0Ghz C2D Macbook(black) with 1GB of Ram, and 120GBHDD... The stock 2G black model.

I run iCyclone and usually let it do Automatic mode which likes to keep my temp around 115-116 degrees F or between 45 and 48 Celsius. However, this often keeps my fans running at 3400-4500RPM rather frequently.

Is this temp too low, and therefore why I am using my fan so much?

Although the low temp comforts me, It is also a bit concerning seeing as I don't want to burn out my fan in 6 months. XD

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Mine generally runs between 35 and 50C (it's hitting 48 at the moment). I am guessing that your fans are running because iCyclone is turning them on, seeing that's what it's for ;)

Try disabling iCyclone and resetting the fans to their normal speed and see how it goes. One thing that was new in the updated MacBook firmware that came out in September is the feature that the fan speed is related to the CPU load as well as the temperature. In other words, if you're doing something intensive it will up the fan speed to stop it getting hot, rather than battling the heat after it's already warmed up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine generally runs between 35 and 50C (it's hitting 48 at the moment). I am guessing that your fans are running because iCyclone is turning them on, seeing that's what it's for ;)

Try disabling iCyclone and resetting the fans to their normal speed and see how it goes. One thing that was new in the updated MacBook firmware that came out in September is the feature that the fan speed is related to the CPU load as well as the temperature. In other words, if you're doing something intensive it will up the fan speed to stop it getting hot, rather than battling the heat after it's already warmed up.

How about under load? Like when you run intensive programs like Photoshop, or anything like that... Because I stopped iCyclone and I am running at around 44-47 Celsius (How you get it down the 35 I don't know... possibly just upon startup?)

Anyways, let me know. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're running something intensive then it'll go up. If I run iDVD or something it'll go up to 60C. The 'normal' speed of macbook fans at low temperature (less than 45C in my experience) is 1500RPM. If they're running faster than that, check Activity Monitor to make sure nothing is running oddly. Also, try using smcFanControl to reset the minimum to 1500 if iCyclone set it higher. It's running at 37C now because I use a laptop tray like this one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're running something intensive then it'll go up. If I run iDVD or something it'll go up to 60C. The 'normal' speed of macbook fans at low temperature (less than 45C in my experience) is 1500RPM. If they're running faster than that, check Activity Monitor to make sure nothing is running oddly. Also, try using smcFanControl to reset the minimum to 1500 if iCyclone set it higher. It's running at 37C now because I use a laptop tray like this one.

Really? What programs are you running? Because with Just Adium and Firefox I am running at 53C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
how do you reset your fans after using aprogram like these? so they run normally again. (i have a mbp)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? What programs are you running? Because with Just Adium and Firefox I am running at 53C

Ambient temperature, cooling in the room, all sorts of things can affect the core temperature. Also, don't forget it's the core temperature, not the overall system temperature. Sometimes mine goes up on hot days or when the central heating is on. I can't really give you a 'how'. There are so many variables it's impossible to pinpoint, but a cool environment with good ventilation is all I use.

edit: when I posted that I was running a terminal for IRC, Firefox, Thunderbird and Activity Monitor.

edit edit: To reset the fan speed in iCyclone, read the FAQ. For smcFanControl just drag the slider as far left as it will go and click Apply.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do you reset your fans after using aprogram like these? so they run normally again. (i have a mbp)

I think if you quit it and restart you should be fine.
I just quit out of iCyclone, and used smcFanControl to put my minimum fan speed back to 1800RPM... Not sure if that will do the same thing as a restart but I am hoping it will...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ambient temperature, cooling in the room, all sorts of things can affect the core temperature. Also, don't forget it's the core temperature, not the overall system temperature. Sometimes mine goes up on hot days or when the central heating is on. I can't really give you a 'how'. There are so many variables it's impossible to pinpoint, but a cool environment with good ventilation is all I use.

True... Kinda sucks that I have one of the hottest rooms in my house. XD Oh well. Lol. I am running a Targus CoolPad under my system too... But seeing as there aren't any vents underneath the compy to let the cool pad blow in I don't really see it doing too much good. Other than I am able to keep my interna; fans running about 1000-1500RPM slower with the same load and still keep my temp hovering around 120F/49C.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.