Upgrading to Panther

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am preparing to upgrade to Panther. I am planning to do a fresh install, after I alter my current partition setup. I am concern about several applications. Will they function okay under Panther. They run fine under Jaugar. I assume they will work, but i want to be sure. The applications are Sound Studio 2.1, M$ Office X (Service Pack 1), QuickBooks pro 5, and FileMaker Pro 6. I have checked various web sites, but they don't meation Panther or even in Jaugar.

S

Synn

Pather issue

Hey!! I was hoping for a bit of help. I just upgraded to Panther and my firewire no longer responds. It was working fine with Jaguar. Now I'm thinking it might be because it is not a final copy. I checked my G4 settings and the 10.3 says Pre.Relese. Any help will be appriciated.

C

Chamorro

Synn said:
Hey!! I was hoping for a bit of help. I just upgraded to Panther and my firewire no longer responds. It was working fine with Jaguar. Now I'm thinking it might be because it is not a final copy. I checked my G4 settings and the 10.3 says Pre.Relese. Any help will be appriciated.

Have you done:
Software Update? Repair Disk Permissions? Try resetting Open Firmware, PRAM? Can also try the programmer's reset (hold the programmer's button down while booting up).

A

Andreades

Question for Chamorro

Chamorro said:
Have you done:
Software Update? Repair Disk Permissions? Try resetting Open Firmware, PRAM? Can also try the programmer's reset (hold the programmer's button down while booting up).

Chamorro,

Apple offered me the 3-CD UPGRADE set for my G-5 at a slight additional cost, just after buying it (the G-5) last August. At the time I was squeaky new to MAC and OS-X and never realized that I'd run into repair difficulties using the upgrade CD set. Else I might have paid a little more and gotten the standard install disk.

So... since the only version of OS-X I have that incorporates an OS-X repair program is on the 10.2 Jaguar CD that came with the comp., I must rely on that to repair permissions and perform other disk checks. But...

Something tells me it ain't doing the trick. Would the permissions venue be wrong for 10.3 using the 10.2 CD... and if so, what in your opinion should I do, then, to correct permissions in Panther? Order the Full install CD?

Plus, would you please tell me where the Programmer's button you mention is located?

I accessed a hard-to-reach switch on one occasion when an Apple tech was handling my service call. I'd run a hardware test trying to use disk 1 of the OS-X 10.3 set (thinking that surely the 10.3 Repair program would be on it) and got in trouble. The CD stuck in the SuperDrive and I couldn't get it out. Plus the hard drive was beginning to rev up like a Pratt-Whitney fanjet engine and wouldn't stop.

So I finally got scared and pulled the plug, by holding down the power button. Then I called Apple.

The tech I reached had me remove the G-5's side panel and hold down a button way back in the aft section. Doing that reset something that allowed the system to function normally again. Is that the button you refer to?

Come back...

A

C

Chamorro

I suggested the Software Update, b/c the post stated "pre-release" & I thought Panther could be updated that way. I figured that could be a start.

Repair disk permissions by going to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility, choose your HD, and click "Repair Permissions". You don't need to work off the CD.

I don't know where the Progammer's button is on the G5. On my Cube it's right next to the little Reset button, and it's recessed a bit into the chassis. If you had to hold that button while booting up, that sounds like the right button.

tprnmonkey41 has started a post on basic OS X troubleshooting, which may help out. Good Luck!

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is an update. I did a clean install of Panther. Repartition my disk and installed Panther being it up to 10.3.2. then I re-installed all of my applications. Everything appears to working fine now. Just saw that 10.3.3 is available. Since i just frinished my upgrade. I am now in the processo f bring my sysem up to 10.3.3.

N

NEO chard

Ive updated Panther to 10.3.3
Whenever I get file info, it processes so slow, youll think its a system hang.Im using a G4 with a 1Gig processor,
but even ive'd optimized the system many times, still its so slow.???what seems to be the problem???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.