American purchased iPhone - Use in Asia before '08?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod Mini, iPod Nano
The iPhone is said to be available in Asia in the fourth quarter of 2008, or at least in the year 2008. Personally, I don't think I can wait nearly 2 years for a phone, and since I have relatives in the States, I figured I could ask them to purchase one there, and perhaps mail it back to Hong Kong, or even personally bring it back.

Will that be possible, in terms of whether or not the phone will still function as normal?

I'm no expert. From experience, this could be done, but from several sources on the Internet, it cannot be. Anyone out there who can solve my question, with slightly less technical terms?

Thanks a bunch.

PS. I apologise if other threads somehow answers this question; I've searched but am fairly sure they don't exactly.

Reaction score
From what I have heard the phones will be locked to the Cingular/ATT network they will not be sim lock free. Lets hope they also release a sim lock free version as it would be a pity if they didn't.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
The iPhone is said to be available in Asia in the fourth quarter of 2008, or at least in the year 2008. Personally, I don't think I can wait nearly 2 years for a phone, and since I have relatives in the States, I figured I could ask them to purchase one there, and perhaps mail it back to Hong Kong, or even personally bring it back.

Will that be possible, in terms of whether or not the phone will still function as normal?

I'm no expert. From experience, this could be done, but from several sources on the Internet, it cannot be. Anyone out there who can solve my question, with slightly less technical terms?

Thanks a bunch.

PS. I apologise if other threads somehow answers this question; I've searched but am fairly sure they don't exactly.

I am in the same boat, its a long wait. But I just decided to buy a new half decent PDA now and the iphone comes out and isn't sold out everywhere I will get one as the PDA will be long in the tooth by then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Your best bet is to chat with the guys over at Howardforums.com

They are all about cell phones, hacking, changing, unlocking, etc. This will be a big project for them when it comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.