audio input buzz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got me a mac pro... love it except there is a buzz on the audio input line coming from my reciever. I am using the 1/8" audio input jack. Now on my old G4, the audio was fine (ie no buzz) with the same set up. Am I in need of an audio interface... say would an imic take care of this or is something else at work here? thanks

R. Fink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Sounds like either a cable shielding issue or a grounding issue. Do you have another receiver, or any other audio source that you could hook up in place of your current receiver to try to isolate things?

OP
R
Reaction score
Sounds like either a cable shielding issue or a grounding issue. Do you have another receiver, or any other audio source that you could hook up in place of your current receiver to try to isolate things?

Yup, tried another reciever. Also hooked up the same system to my G4 and got no buzz. So this seems to be coming from the Mac Pro... from what I've been reading these machines seem to be pretty noisey, electrically speaking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is stretching a bit, but here are two other things to try, both related to ensuring you have a common ground:

1/ Plug both systems into the same powerbar.

2/ Use three pronged plugs for both - even better if they can both be into the same power bar.

Good luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help... this was indeed a ground loop problem (I have said receiver and the computer in different rooms). A ground loop isolator (Xitel) on the input of the computer did the trick. FWIW. The imic worked as well but, attenuated the signal too much for my liking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.