Dropbox is missing...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
Mellow Greetings, everyone.

My partner recently made a new account on his machine, but it has no Dropbox! Is there any way to make a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Mellow Greetings, everyone.

My partner recently made a new account on his machine, but it has no Dropbox! Is there any way to make a new one?

Thanks in advance.

G'day shetz,

Have a look to see if Personal File Sharing is turned on in their account.

OP
shetz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply, Pulse-8! Yeah, it's on, sorry, forgot to mention it in my original post.

OP
shetz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it was missing.

Reaction score
I've searched High & Low for answers to this dilemma, shetz ... all I can think of at this late hour is to suggest your partner creates another new user account and has a look to see if the Public Folder shows up ...

OP
shetz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Been doing research for the last 2 days, with no results. Thanks much for your help, Pulse.

M

MacHeadCase

Did he try creating a folder in his account, naming it Public then nested in that folder the Drop Box folder and giving them these permissions? (See attachment below)

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that somehow the system messed up and gave a state of invisibility to that Public folder of his. A simple dot (".") before a file or folder name will give it invisibility.

Public_dropbox.jpg

Reaction score
Good point MHC, I was thinking the very same thing when I went to bed last night!

Reaction score
you could enable the root user, copy the public and drop box folder from another user to his user. Then open up your terminal and type chown -R <hisusername> /Users/<hisusername> and press enter. That will change the permissions to be correct for his user. Last disable the root user and restart.

Note: this is the same method you would use if you created a new user and copied all the old folders from another user to that user account, like if your account got corrupted and rather than spend all day figuring it out you could just make yourself a new user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.