• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Intel Mumbo-Jumbo

D

dziner

I work for a company that sells tons of PC crap but no Mac stuff so I'm bombarded with Intel, AMD, and Microsoft stuff every day. Today I was browsing an Intel site focused on the Digital Home since they are trying to push this kind of stuff. Here's the link. I found it funny how they interview this guy and as I read all things he's done I think to myself, "I've never heard of any of these artists!"

The reason I bring this up is because I always see cool things on Apple's website like Elijah Wood and the cast of The Lord of the Rings using iPhoto and iPods, Sheryl Crow using Garage Band, BT using his PowerBook to create music, etc. This sends me a message that if you want to be productive and FAMOUS you better be using a Mac. I have the Mac part down - now just waiting for the famous part. :)

PS. Intel is pathetic.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

^^^^ so because a celebrity is snorting cocain - Should you?

it is called Marketing and it seems it has sucked you RIGHT in!

P.S - Why is intel pethetic? - i hate emtpy statements like that with absoluty no backing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would agree that if you want to acutally 'work' with your computer, then you should use a Mac...if you want to use your computer like a toy and play games, then a PC is OK.
The list of artists and musicians and photographers that use Macs in their line of work is seemingly endless. These folks are using a Mac system because it does work, and it will work right the first time. That is why you don't see too many of the arts and music crowd using PCs.
In my opinion though, Intel is not pathetic. They obviously have the edge when it comes to computer gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's clear as day the moment you touch a Mac you know it's the best! In a CompUSA that's what happened to me :) When you wanna be serious and not have doz problems or have to tinker with Linux - it's the way! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
And if you need more about how 'Nix kicks M$ and its doz go to And see how Red Hat CEO admits that Linux on i86 is not gonna outrun Mac or crappy doz!

OP
T

TylerMoney

Intel does make a shister load of money though....man alive...it's impressive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
dziner said:
PS. Intel is pathetic.

STFU... :mad:

ive had and AMD (now using Intel) And intel is WAAAY better!!!!1111oneoneoneone11111!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Intel is the god of processors.. though i have to say... IBM has taken a red marker and redrew the bar...

OP
L

LuniX

Well indeed Intel used to be better than AMD, or is, i'm not sure but i like that Opteron. As you can see when you read my signature famous peaple even ones who publish Windoze games, have a thing for mac.

On to Intel right now, they always denied the megahertz myth but they just made the itanium running from 900 to little above 1Ghz. This is their most expensive processor. The Intel itanium. Goes vs the AMD opteron and might even win. But they did prove the megahertz mythe themselves. They already did with the Pentium M and now Centrino.

XboX 1.0 is using a Intel CPU, this system was produced buy M$. (yeah everybody knows but i like my Mac keyboard a lot :) ) XboX 2.0 will use a IBM PPC, mabe even dual. The N5 (nintendo gamecube succesor) & the playstation 3, will do the same. (Game cube already did have a IBM CPU)

So is Intel pathetic. No, quite in the game, just maybe not for long. Still i think they outgun AMD but not AMD with Sun microsystems (Opteron). But does Intel outgun Apples choice of CPU's, the ppc achitechture. Nah, come on be serious, i converted an image file 698.4 Mb to another format under linux on a 1Ghz P3 with 512k L2 cash and outgunned it with an 800Mhz G4 256k L2 cashe buy a factor of 1.8

But Intels is not pathetic, and i will not call any company pathetic as long unless they really pull crappy things. Like SCO & M$, now they are pathetic! :)

OP
M

modenaf1

NightCrawler said:
STFU... :mad:

ive had and AMD (now using Intel) And intel is WAAAY better!!!!1111oneoneoneone11111!!!!!

Any reasons? So far, Intel has to use this new BTX form factor to cool its 100thermal watt CPU, and whatever AMD does, Intel desperately needs to do to catch up....like 64bit technology, Intel initially said it was BS and there was no need for it, but look at what they are doing now...AMD announced they would use dual cores in the near future, whoops! silly them becuase now Intel has to do that to keep up. And then, an A64 can even beat out Intel's new upcoming chipset with DDR2 in memory performance...hmm....I wouldnt doubt it if Intel soon uses an on-die memory controller.

Also, my AMD1700, was 40 dollars, stock speed at 1.47Ghz, I can get it up to 2.45Ghz on 1.75Vcore and standard air cooling! Any Intel's you can get a 180percent overclock that cost 40 dollars and run cool? I dont think so.

Oh yea, and then Intel has to come out with the P4EE....why? Becuase AMD was going to beat the **** out of em with teh Athlon FX.

Intel also thought they were being smart **** by making a really ineficent chip with a huge pipeline to ramp up the clockspeed for normal consumers who dont know anything. Well...looks like that strategie is flawed becuase they are now going to try and make it faster for the clock speed.

Those are my reasons why Intel is not "WAAAY better!!!!" than AMD. Now lets see your reasons why it is....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.