Macbook networking/printer help

Reaction score
Hi, I have a macbook pro, networked at home with PC's (XP), I can access the shared files from the xp, but they need me to give them a password to access my stuf, is this normal? and could i get arround it.

Also I cannot connect to our HP photosmart 8150 printer. I have the driver, but it won't print, any help greatly apreciated, and sorry if there is another thread for this.

thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If the printer is attached to the Windows machine, then I generally point people here: http://linuxprinting.org/macosx/

The HP drivers are not network aware so the open source ones tend to work best. They were written by HP too, but for some reason that don't distribute them with the Mac.

If it's connected to the Mac, look at Bonjour for windows (http://apple.com/bonjour, at the bottom right). It will auto detect shared mac printers.

I'll have a look into sharing without a password. It's just Samba under the hood, but I'll have to check how to mess with it safely.

OP
the_macpanther
Reaction score
thank's for the reply, but I'm not understanding. I am trying to reach the printer from my mac, the printer is connected to a pc(xp). and the printer is an hp photosmart 8150. so because it is on the network, a driver won't do any good? or what.

OP
the_macpanther
Reaction score
I fixed the printer. I had to find it on the network, and then I had to change the system settings. to the closest printer type, and the viola, a printable paper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.