DVD Rendering

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
I am a current PC user and have just recently started to do DVD. First project, convert the VHS tapes to DVD. I have a Dell P4 1.8 MZ with 512 Ram and 2 80 Gig hard drives. I use Pinnacle software. After I do my editing it will take 4-5 hrs to render the movie then I have to burn it.

1.Can anyone tell me how long it would take on a Mac?
2.What software do you use? This is only a hobby for me.
3. Are 2 drives better than one? Pinnacle said they are faster with 2 drives.
4. Is the Superdrive that much better than standard?
5. What essential programs should I get?
6. The Apple LCD screen is very expensive. Is there that much difference between Apple and another brand?

I am considering a G5 dual processor with 1 gig ram and 250 Superdrive. I want to try to get the best for $ at this time.

I sure hate to do the conversion from the PC. I know that I will have to buy MAC software and all the other programs that I use. I'm sure they must be available for MAC OS some of them are shareware.
I am also tired of the freeze ups and conflicts.

Thanks for the help

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
altyson said:
I am a current PC user and have just recently started to do DVD. First project, convert the VHS tapes to DVD. I have a Dell P4 1.8 MZ with 512 Ram and 2 80 Gig hard drives. I use Pinnacle software. After I do my editing it will take 4-5 hrs to render the movie then I have to burn it.

1.Can anyone tell me how long it would take on a Mac?
2.What software do you use? This is only a hobby for me.
3. Are 2 drives better than one? Pinnacle said they are faster with 2 drives.
4. Is the Superdrive that much better than standard?
5. What essential programs should I get?
6. The Apple LCD screen is very expensive. Is there that much difference between Apple and another brand?

I am considering a G5 dual processor with 1 gig ram and 250 Superdrive. I want to try to get the best for $ at this time.

I sure hate to do the conversion from the PC. I know that I will have to buy MAC software and all the other programs that I use. I'm sure they must be available for MAC OS some of them are shareware.
I am also tired of the freeze ups and conflicts.

Thanks for the help

Al

1. Not Sure how long it would take....
2. If it is only a hobby you can do basic video editing on iMovie, and burn with iDVD
3. not sure......
4. definetly, if you are going to be burning, get the super....
5. Apple LCD's are much higher quality.!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. it all depends on how many transitions and how long the footage is
2. FinalCutPro is a great high-end but for a hobby iMovie should be fine for you
3. They think its better to have the second drive as a buffer/storage sort of drive....theres really no big difference
4. SuperDrive can burn DVDs their regular drives can't
5. You should be set with everything included with iLife
6. If looks really matter to you go for it but its really just paying more money for the looks...the quality difference is not really noticable unless your a videophile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.