Where should I post a Q about Flash Player installation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I'm having prob installing Flash Player on my new Macbook. It keeps insisting I have an open browser, but I don't.

Redirect me if necessary.

THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
restart and try again. If things don't quit, eject, install etc., a restart usually does the job. Sometimes installers have odd messages - it may sometimes look like a warning, but only tell you the installation was successful - I remember attempting to install something twice recently for that very reason.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried restarting it yesterday. No luck. I tried shutting it down. No luck.

The error message is "It appears that a browser is still running on your system. Please close all browsers and click continue".

I even turned airport off, but got the same message.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google brought this up, Flash Player 9 installation fails on Macintosh.

Edited to add:

If that solution does not work for you, I would suggest you register at Adobe and post your question in the Adobe Support forums.

Interesting, b/c I JUST found that link 2 seconds ago! And was just about to post it here. However, I don't think that it's the same prob b/c I'm the only user on this laptop. I'm going to try it right now.

BTW, I only found the link b/c I subscribed to this tread and in the email, the forum automatically did a google search for me and, presto, there was the link. That was VERY cool. Thanks mac-forums!

I'll let ya'll know if I figure it out.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M

MacHeadCase

Good luck! And please report back on any findings you might make over there. Maybe other members will coming looking here for a solution one day. :girl:

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay WHAT is up with Adobe's site. It is such a pain. The forum uses nicknames and no matter how many times I've tried mine is already taken! I've tried to join on at least 3 other occassions. I've tried a million different names, nothing works.

M

MacHeadCase

I hate their website too I find it terribly confusing. Did you look everywhere on the log in page? Sometimes if you don't sign off from the site, the browser cookies automatically logs you on when you come back and it isn't very obvious that you are still logged on.

The other thing I can think of is maybe delete all your cookies in your browser that have anything to do with Adobe forums and maybe try again? Or sign up using random characters, ex.: 1jk3l33ddd with a random password to your liking, note it down for future use and go with that. (Make a screenshot if you need it)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, everyone, you can breathe a sigh of relief. I figured it out!

Flash is a complete piece of cr*p. sorry, I'm sure I'm not supposed to use words like that here.

Once I found the right forum (Flash, not Flash Paper or Flash Reader - which doesn't exist...) all I found was unanswered questions like mine. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/searchresults.cfm Both Mac and Windows based problems. And not one answer from Adode. And they're help line is a week day 9-5 "no-help" line. Last time I called them it was forever on hold and then they couldn't help me anyways.

So...for now, I'm out of luck I guess.

What is surprising is that I haven't seen more questions/prob about it posted here. Or would they be in a different sub forum?

Thanks again all!

M

MacHeadCase

Well that's pretty crummy...

Maybe it has to do with your Intel-based Mac? Or I dunno, Flash works on my old iMac G5 2.1GHz so I really don't know what could be the problem with your installation.

I can't say I'm crazy about Adobe but we just can't live without them, I guess... :radioacti

Hopefully this problem will finally be addressed in an update that will come soon for you.

Maybe if everyone who has a problem posted over there, Adobe would move its keester and do something about it!!!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't figure out the multiple quotes thing...sorry

The other thing I can think of is maybe delete all your cookies in your browser that have anything to do with Adobe forums and maybe try again?

I tried emptying my cache, which didn't work. but that's different, right? And I was confused about how that would help... It would stop thinking there was a browsere running?

sign up using random characters, ex.: 1jk3l33ddd with a random password to your liking, note it down for future use and go with that. (Make a screenshot if you need it)

Yes! That's what finally worked. And I was so mad at that point that I was hitting random keys just to make sure it wasn't me. And one went thru. I didn't even right it down b/c I was so PO'd. THAT was smart. :bone: Come on, how can I believe that someone else has a "nickname" that's my two kids names with alternating caps and a number?! :radioacti That whole site is a disaster area. Someone on their forum said they just keep going around in circles when they look for help on the site. That's an understatement

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's pretty crummy...

Maybe it has to do with your Intel-based Mac? Or I dunno, Flash works on my old iMac G5 2.1GHz so I really don't know what could be the problem with your installation.

I think it is the intel based macs with the biggest prob. I saw someone on there who said they've been using Flash for 18 months with this prob and not one inkling of hope that Adobe is working on it.

What's crazy to me is that this is a feauture on tons of websites that DESIGNERS are creating and designers use MACS. Right...? It seems like they are nuts to not fix all the problems.

Basically I am shut out of a vast majority of sites graphics. And I wanted to make business cards on line and the site used Flash to help you make them. Not me. That's maddening.

M

MacHeadCase

And I guess a slightly earlier version (PowerPC-only) would not run under Rosetta?

M

MacHeadCase

I can't figure out the multiple quotes thing...sorry

I tried emptying my cache, which didn't work. but that's different, right? And I was confused about how that would help... It would stop thinking there was a browsere running?

Yes! That's what finally worked. And I was so mad at that point that I was hitting random keys just to make sure it wasn't me. And one went thru. I didn't even right it down b/c I was so PO'd. THAT was smart. :bone: Come on, how can I believe that someone else has a "nickname" that's my two kids names with alternating caps and a number?! :radioacti That whole site is a disaster area. Someone on their forum said they just keep going around in circles when they look for help on the site. That's an understatement

The cache in Safari is where the browser stores info on webpages you have visited so, if ever you go back to that same page, it can access that info faster instead of waiting for the internet connection to feed it the same data.

Cookies is kinda like a passport with stamps of all the countries you visited in it. The servers you connect to for a certain site will recognize its own stamp and say Welcome Back in a way.

And Adobe, I really wouldn't be able to post here what I really think of that company. It isn't as bad as Micro$oft but it's pretty close. :^P

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, thanks again for all the help and moral support, lol. I don't know why I can't remember what cache and cookies do. It's not like I'm over 65. hehehe.

have a good one!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any poor goose that's still reading this thread...

I suspect that if I get an older version of flash player it will work. I think it's flash 9 that doesn't work with the intel Macbooks...

Now where to get an older version will be another mission. :)

I have no idea if this is true, but I thought I'd throw it out there for someone to try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.