U.S powerbook

V

varpunk

Hi

I live in the UK and have a 12" ibook g4 for that has been coursing me some problems with freezing look here for more detail : http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5168

any way iam going on a Uni trip to New York next week and was wondering if it would be worth getting a refund on my ibook and when i get to New York buying a 12" powerbook G4 superdrive insted as the extchange rate is good. the only problem is that am not sure if it will be fully compatable over here in the uk. for exaple the dvd player and the plug. please let me know if this is a good idea.

OP
L

lugee

Do some reaserch to see what the power rating on the power supply is as usually, its from 110V (usa) to 240v (UK, Europe) so all u need is a plug converter from US to UK to plug into mains.

I'm pretty new to mac's so not sure if there is a DVD region free program for mac's like pc's what allows u to watch any region dvd with out a firmware upgrade.

OP
P

PC HATER

oh and i would not it would probably just screw things like if something turned up missing or it broke i dont know it is probably best to just buy it at home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok when I was out travelling the world I took my computer with me. All you need is a plug converter, which is less than $1 usually and as for DVD's when you stick in a different regional encoding DVD it will ask you if you want to switch encodings on the computer and you just hit yes. Now be forwarned that you can only switch a couple of times and then your computer will stay permanently on that encoding after that.

I would recommend you get it at home also just because if something goes wrong.. you are going to have quite a time sending it to New York just to have it fixed..

OP
T

TylerMoney

there is a program, dvd backup, that allows you to change the reginal coding to whatever you'd like. I suggest not taking the coding off completely....though this is only when planning on backing up your dvds, which is a good idea anyways...you'll also need a compression program to rerecord to dvd....dvdone2...I beleive thats what it is called..it's a good one....

also, if you play mostly european dvds, then you will only have to change your dvd player regiional code once...

but it is true that it might be better to buy it at home....you may just be experiencing a unique problem....who knows...that's what you pretty much be looking at though...power coverting is an easy process, and nothing to be concered about.

OP
R

Ron Jon

Don't change to a powerbook just yet, as I'm getting the same problem with on my powerbook - also bought in the US in Jan. Might be a new problem that they are experiencing... Apple have been s*hit in trying to get the problem sorted out. Mine is still in for repairs and this is the 3rd time they've taken it back. See if you can get them to pinpoint the problem. I'd only recommend exchanging to a powerbook if you wanted more power, but good luck with trying that on with Apple.

Reaction score
Varpunk~

Hey, I've got a 12" PB G4 and I live in Lithuania. When I bought the PB (from the US online store) I also bought the "universal plug adapter". Now, I just plug into the wall with the Apple cord. No converter necessary, you just swap out the plug ending and everything is done for you. Looks real nice as well as it is just the cord from the computer to the wall (well, surge protector).

As far as DVD's, I use VLC when possible while playing Russian DVD's. I've never had a problem as of yet, and it was free. I know that there is a region reset program that resets the amount of times you can switch regions.

Overall, no problems.

Maikutis.

OP
B

Bluewolf

varpunk the exchange rate is simply too good not to take advantage of it whilst you are in New York. I live in the UK, but I bought my PowerBook from the US and managed to save myself a few quid or two. And unlike the Hewlett Packard Laptop I bought in the US many, many years ago there is virtually no problem thus far with buying the PowerBook from the States.

The first problem you will of course encounter is that the power pack (the white square) will not come with a British version plug adapter, but an American. I have not been able to find or buy a British one yet, but I have managed to get myself a British version extension cord, which plugs into the power pack.

The power pack that you will receive with the US Apple Mac is compatible to British 240V (230V I believe is what the UK has now stepped down to). So banish all concerns of overheating or overloading the power pack. However do ensure that you buy a British extension cord, or the doohicky that attaches the power pack directly to the wall socket.

They will attempt to try and sell you a European version before a British one, but seeing as you are from the UK I am sure you will have no problem seeing the difference between the two.

As for Apple Technical Support I have had the privilege of having a good experience, be it some slight difficulty as the Technical Support is based in Canada. However I have yet to be charged for an international phone call, which I find slightly odd.

The DVD drive is of course regionalised, which is the draw back, but considering that you will mainly be playing European DVDs that should not be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
I dont know how far apple after care would extend, but usually if you buy any electrical goods from outside the UK, there's no warranty, but, if you pay by credit card, they will guarantee the product for a full year, you have to check with the card provider though. If it goes kaput, phone them up and they'll sort out either repairs or a replacement.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post and I hope you are still reading it. I am wondering how you are getting on with your US p/book and have you had any other problems. Is the keyboard layout any different over a uk powerbook. Also is there any more clarity over the warranty situation, is it fully international and is it covered if you use it mainly in a country different to where you bought it.
If there are any software updates are they different between US and OUS p/books.
I am going to NYC in August and was thinking about picking one up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
richieg said:
I know this is an old post and I hope you are still reading it. I am wondering how you are getting on with your US p/book and have you had any other problems. Is the keyboard layout any different over a uk powerbook. Also is there any more clarity over the warranty situation, is it fully international and is it covered if you use it mainly in a country different to where you bought it.
If there are any software updates are they different between US and OUS p/books.
I am going to NYC in August and was thinking about picking one up
The warranty is international and basically if someone has a problem, apple uk/europe will either have it picked up, or you can bring it to your nearest authorized apple service partner and they'll fix it there...

The software is identical, you can pick what language you want the software to run in as well, so no differences there. (They might bundle different games or something, but that's it).

The DVD player comes region-free and is locked after the 5th time you set a region.

Basically there's no difference in service/warranty/software/dvd region, not sure if the keyboard is the same, but I'd imagine it's comparable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.