CD stuck - help!

Reaction score
Hey,

I just got my Macbook Pro a few weeks ago & um.. I think I may have killed it already XD

Basically I put a CD in, but I lifted it up & moved the computer while the CD was spinning, I noticed it started making this really odd noise (like it was stuck, or at least something wasn't right), so I put it down & pushed the eject key, at which point the odd noise stopped but the disk didn't come out. I tried it again, and it makes the noise it usually does when a disc is ejected, except the disk isn't coming out.

What should I do?
& Sorry if I'm not making much sense, it's late here XD

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Reboot and keep pressing eject. It will come out, if not click and hold the trackpad on reboot again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Try holding down the mouse button during reboot and see what happens, but I'm a bit concerned that you say it makes the right noise. If you tilted it when it was accessing the drive it may have slipped off the spindle and so the eject mechanism can't grab it.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I move my mbp all the time when its reading with no issues.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Yeah I guess so.

Have you had any luck?

OP
K
Reaction score
I move it all the time as well, soo I dunno what happened this time.

I've tried the clicking/holding on reboot thing & that didn't work. It's making weird sounds when I press eject now. Um.. I think I'll just take it to an Apple Centre tomorrow.. o_O

Thanks anyways :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
OP
K
Reaction score
^I did everything listed there last night & it didn't work.
Sounds like it's physically stuck in there. I recorded it, the files attached.

It's a normal sized disc with no labels on it & it was perfectly flat when I put it in.

View attachment disc.zip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Yes, that definitely sounds stuck. Something is clipping on the way out, and the pitiful whine the eject motor makes is almost heartbreaking ;)

I'm sure it'll be a fairly trivial task to get it out once you get it to the Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
This has happened to me with a few DVDs. I flicked through the manual and it pretty much says that moving the MBP with a disc in the drive is a no-no, as is having a disc in the drive while the MBP's on an uneven surface (ie, not flat). As it turns out, I had discs stuck in these situations. One disc wouldn't eject for 2 days, I just turned the machine on after a while and it ejected. But very frustrating, I know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I was burning a CD in my iBook one day and I went to pick my laptop up from the table it was resting on and I grabbed the side the CD drive is located on. I felt the plastic bend slightly from all the weight being on that side AND the CD drive sort of "caught" from me gripping so tightly. Never doing that again :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13 in. MacBook, 2 GHz CPU, 2G RAM, 100GB HD
I was burning a CD in my iBook one day and I went to pick my laptop up from the table it was resting on and I grabbed the side the CD drive is located on. I felt the plastic bend slightly from all the weight being on that side AND the CD drive sort of "caught" from me gripping so tightly. Never doing that again :eek:neye:

exact same thing has happened to me...
in fact, i was originally wondering if this was what happened to Kroevyn...

now, i also have a disc stuck in my macbook.
i have tried the trackpad-hold reboot, i've tried flat surfaces, no moving it, and its been 2 days.

i guess i'll take the thing to apple, but i always hate actually having to go down there for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have had the SAME EXACT thing happen to me... Twice!

***ON MY iMac!!!!**** So it wasn't movement causing the problem...

The first time was with a CD-R... I had to take it in to the Apple shop... they fixed it pretty quickly... without knowing why it happened... so I "chalked it up" as just a bad disc/fluke/etc...

Then....

Yesterday I loaded the Mac OS X install disc (to load X11)... well... it happened again... stuck!!! Tried 8 or 10 times to get it to eject... It sounded EXACTLY like the .mp3 clip posted above... I ended up sticking the blade of a swiss army knife in the slot drive (Ssssshhhh.. don't tell apple) and lifting/pressing up on a metal arm that was in the middle of the slot while pressing eject.. it came out... I haven't loaded another disc yet, but if it happens again, I'll take it to Apple and have the drive replaced.

DISCLAIMER: Do what I did only AT YOUR OWN RISK:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.