1st Post on New iMac

Reaction score
I got my first Mac today, it's the high end 17" version. SO glad I decided to get one. I also picked up an Elgato eyeTV Hybrid. So I am watching tv and surfing the net on my new Mac. What web browser does everybody use. I used to use Firefox on my windoze pc and was wondering if that was the best on the mac too, or if there was a better program.

Loving it,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
congrats on your purchase...

I use safari, but I have firefox for use with my schools internet services since they check what browser you use when you enter the site, and they want you to use the computer they gave you on their site, which is a windows computer, so i use firefox to trick the site. Other then that, i think Safari is the best browser on the mac.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
congrats on the new mac!

there's a thread with a poll on which browser people use somewhere around here...

i use safari (the standard app) with tabbed browsing enabled. works just fine.

firefox will work fine too, though i could barely tell any difference in speed. if anything safari seemed just a tick quicker than firefox on my macbook (cable internet and wireless g).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Congrats!

I use FireFox for my browser, but Safari is quite good, as well. I've only run into a few instances where Safari didn't cut it, but those few instances are on sites that I frequently visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
congrats on your purchase...

I use safari, but I have firefox for use with my schools internet services since they check what browser you use when you enter the site, and they want you to use the computer they gave you on their site, which is a windows computer, so i use firefox to trick the site. Other then that, i think Safari is the best browser on the mac.

Trick it and use Safari, download Deeper and turn on the debug menu. You can make it broadcast as any browser you want.

Reaction score
Yea, also look for some "must have" apps. Ive had my macbook for a month now, and I just downloaded some software like iwork (reg), shapeshifter, xtorrent, acquisition. gimmesometunes, adium, and i love it... There all worth it, maybe acquisition and xtorrent are redundant... because there both p2p, and there are free versions of something similar. If the dev just charged like 25 for both id buy them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are using Safari, you should also get the SafariPlus extension (http://web.mac.com/jrc/SafariPlus), which gives Safari two key new capabilities:

1/ It can clean out cookies and other temporary data each time it exits. This is a nicely done piece, since it lets you select cookies that you can mark as permanent, and it will only delete the rest. So, you can keep all the cookies you actually want kept, and have it auto delete the rest on each exit. Nice.

2/ It provides grouping of cookies. I am sure we have all been a website that drops 20 cookies on the machine. When you go to clean up your cookies in Safari later, you have to select them all and delete them each manually, or in groups when you can. With SafariPlus installed, you get grouped cookies. All of the cookies from any one website are together in a nested list - you can just delete the top level of the nested list and they all go. This is nice. Also, it makes taking a quick look at what cookies are on your machine a lot easier, since you just see the nested list. Instead of seeing 100 cookies, perhaps associated with 10 site, you just see 10 nested sets - MUCH easier to comprehend.

If all of this sounds familiar, it should. Firefox has had the above two behaviors for some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use Safari with the SafariStand plugin. The preview tabs are a huge upgrade compared to the standard "folder" tabs on the top. Check it out, free plugin, and its updated regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've tried practically every major browser, and I find myself going back to Firefox every time. The main reason is because the keyboard shortcuts just seem more intuitive, and since I run Firefox on my PC, I don't have to learn different keyboard shortcuts when I switch between the two. Another reason I stick to Firefox is the plethora of extensions available for it :black:

For some reason, I don't like Safari or Camino (ironic, since Camino is just a snazzier version of Firefox).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I'm suprised that more people don't talk about it but I believe that Shiira is an awesome browser.

http://shiira.jp/en.php

Go for the stable 1.2 build, not the 2.x one.

I haven't used anything else since Shiira came to my macbook :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I'm suprised that more people don't talk about it but I believe that Shiira is an awesome browser.

http://shiira.jp/en.php

Go for the stable 1.2 build, not the 2.x one.

I haven't used anything else since Shiira came to my macbook :)
It's good, but horrible compared to Safari. I used to use it, I might again when the 2.0 version comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Congrats Bryan! May you have fun with your new machine.

I use Firefox. I tried Safari a little, and it worked fine. I went to Firefox mostly because I needed to get this machine up and running and doing the things I need to do. I like Firefox, especially since it works basically the same across OS X, Linux, and Windows. Still though, all of the positive words regarding Safari encourage me to spend more time with it. -_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I used Shiira for a little bit, might try it out again once 2.0 is released, and stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I use Safari and so far I really like it! BTW, welcome and enjoy your new machine. Come back often, this forum can be a huge source of information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.