HELP! OS won't respond...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
Hi,

Just received my MBP and I started transfering files using an external drive and at the third transfer, after the files were transfered, I tryed to delete what's on the drive (is there a "cut" fonction on a Mac instead of just copying files?).

That when I got a "spinning color disk"... Been that way for over 30 mins now! can't force a quit of anything, the mouse cursor still responds, but that all I can do...

What should I do ? Should I unplug and remove the battery?

PS: For those who complain about Windows BSOD, I find this experience, on my first hour on a Mac to be just as bad as those win98 crashes... It's actually worse, because I don't know what to do!!!

Thanks,
Stephan

M

MacHeadCase

Try pressing the Power button on your laptop till your MacBook Pro shuts down.

I don't know how you tried deleting the items on your external HD (not familiar with Windows ways...), but it's a simple drag and drop to the trash then emptying the trash. So restart and try that if this isn't what you have done earlier.

OP
Stephan936
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
AH!

holding the power button for a 4-5 seconds did work! LOL didn't think of that :)

Thanks!
Stephan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Also don't forget about force quit. Hold down Option+Command+Esc to bring up the menu. Just Force Quit whatever isn't responding. That way you won't even have to reboot (most of the time, anyway).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can not cut and paste a document in OS X, like you can in windows. This has to due with the nature of unix. The best thing to do is as MacHeadCase mentioned, drag and drop. Just shift click all of the files/documents you want to move, and then drag them to place you want them. Then drop them threre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual 1.8 / G4 Dual 867 / iBook G3
And after something like that i normally repair permissions, and maybe even do a fsck -f in single user mode ( if i'm really worried that there maybe problems ... )

BTW .. Hello everyone ... i've been told this is a good forum to come to ....

M

MacHeadCase

Well hello there mister Moore! Welcome here!

I sure am glad you joined us. Stretch is here as well. I think you'll like Mac-Forums, there's a lot of cool members and very knowledgeable too.

And very good to see you again, my friend! :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.