• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Got the oil changed in the VW today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
And there was a slough of problems with it. :(

Constricted fuel filter, clogged cabin air filter, very low power steering fluid, and double crush washers on the drain plug. Stupid VW dealership. I normally do all the work to my own car, but I live in an apartment right now and don't have the facilities to change my own oil, so in October I had the VW dealer (who shall remain nameless for now) change the oil & do the 90,000 mile service (albeit a bit early, at 85K miles). The belt was tensioned, coolant flushed, etc., but they really boned away the basics. They left the last crush washer on the drain plug, which let me lose over .5 quarts in the last 2100 miles. You'd think of all places to take my car for an oil change, the freakin' dealer would know what they were doing.

Fortunately the place I went today (Oil Can Henry's in Bremerton, WA) did a great job. On top of the service, you get a complimentary copy of the paper to read while you wait, they show you everything that is wrong, including fluid samples, and they have 3 cameras that are all on a monitor next to you. One showing under the hood, one showing the pit, and one at the computer. Best service I've ever had at an oil change place, and they had a good military discount. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
That reminds me, my VW needs an oil change too:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I usually try to do most of the work on my car myself too. Especially with the wheels. I can't tell you how many times a garage has taken off the wheels on my car, and I haven't been able to get them off later.
I change my own oil, and rotate the tires, most of the time.

Reaction score
holy crap don't get me started on dealerships, i took my rabbit in for it's first oil change. (had to because im at an apartment too.) I keep my car clean, and i mean clean. Anyway, i had just washed and waxed her, clay barred, detailed the inside, the whole nine yards. so i go up to the dealership for the 5k mile "service" an hour later they come and tell me my car is ready. well there's water spots all over my car. I asked the service guy what part of the oil change required drenching my car and not drying it off. he replied, "free washes are complimentary with all service here." i politely informed him that i didnt ask the $9/hour car runner to touch my car more than was necessary, paid my bill and got my key. then i open the door to my car and water spills out from the door sill. i was livid, and dont get me started on the greasy fingerprints on my windows and hood. :radioacti

now just today it appears that i have a defective brake caliper, my back right brake started grinding really bad, and it sticks, so it grinds after i stop and start to accelerate again. that means i have to go back up to the dealership and argue about warranty work, which in my experience, is never fun. [/rant]

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
even when i did have new cars, i never took them to the dealer if i could help it. i find a reputable private or chain garage (we've got a great one in the twin cities called Lehman's) and go back to them for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
When I first got my car, one of the blinker lights went out. Little ole' me didn't know how to change it so I went to the dealer and got charged $35!! For a light bulb!! I know they're only like $5 at Auto zone! lol I learned my lesson...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
at least they didn't tell you were low on "blinker fluid".

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I guess I am the only one with good service at the dealer. I buy cars down by my beach house, which is about 100 miles away. When there is something wrong with the car, they drive up (with a nice car) and leave the car with me, while they take my car back down with them. They fix it, and bring it back. When the bring it back, its always clean and with plenty of gas in the tank. Not once has any work been done on the car incorrectly. I've been lucky.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, but you have high dollar cars. bimmers and mercs right?

you're bound to get good service, though the stuff that isn't 100% covered is going to be pricey!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should be a little more specific when directing my complaint. It is towards this particular dealer, as the one that I would normally visit is great. I've actually gotten parts for free from my regular dealer (oil filters buy one get one free, because I buy a few at a time), brake light bulbs (when my switch died), front lip (service attendant scraped it on a curb, I hardly could see it, as I scrape on speedbumps regularly). Never a spot when they wash it, and never a problem when I've had to take it in for recall work. (Knock on wood) I haven't had anything major get fixed, although my keyless entry has been screwy the last few weeks.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Dont talk about VWs, I just sold my perfect Golf Rallye with a 20V turbo engine in it. It was hard to do!

Reaction score
BMW has the worst dealers in the country. I have to drive about 62 miles to service my car.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dont talk about VWs, I just sold my perfect Golf Rallye with a 20V turbo engine in it. It was hard to do!

If it makes you feel any better, my GTI has a 20V Turbo engine... :bone:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.