Maximum Volume

Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, especially since it would be trying to go around something Apple designed to save my hearing, but is there any way of making the computer's volume stay set to maximum when it turns on?

Whenever I turn it off, then later back on, it is always set back down to half. And just fyi, I use the volume control on my headphones to give me more accurate control.

EDIT: I realized as the page was loading after hitting the "Submit" button that there was probably something in Automator to do what I needed. After a quick search, it turns out there is, so I can just make a 1-step program to run on startup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
hmm.... thats never happened to me. My MBP always turns on at full volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm, my macbook, old iBook, brother's powerbook and my old G3 iMac all save the volume settings, and all chime and startup with the same volume setting as how they're turned off.

On a sidenote, I noticed my macbook saves the volume settings for the built-in speakers and the headphones. If for example, I have the headphones set to half volume, but the speakers to mute, inserting headphones automatically changes the volume to half. This is all by default - no scripts, plugins or support apps - so I find it strange that you're having a problem like that. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It is generally a bad idea to run any piece of sound equipment at full volume. Full volume usually results in overdriving the electronics, which causes sound distortion. I wonder if this is why the Mac is resetting it to a "safe" value when you restart.

It might be worth trying this. Set your volume to just a little less than full volume and see if that is preserved over a restart. It is a long shot, but it just might be a case of Mac OS X trying to protect us from ourselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.