OS 10.4 / iBook install problem

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
I was trying to install 10.4 from my G5 iMac DVDs onto my G4 iBook.
Not working too well.
I get an Alert "This software cannot be installed on this computer."

Is this a no-no trying to use the iMac DVDs on an iBook?

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Yes. Install disks that come with Macs are model specific. If you want to install Tiger on that iBook, you will have to buy a full-install disk.

OP
GWR

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question...

OK, is it possible (or a bad thing) to install 10.4 to a firewire drive on my iMac and then copy the image to the iBook?
Will it work?

M

MacHeadCase

I would think there are bits and pieces that only belong to your iMac and that will mess your iBook. That's why it's model specific.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As was stated by MacheadCase, not all of the binaries needed for the iBook are included with the iMac. So you will need to get a full install.

OP
GWR

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, now what???

So I aquired a set of iBook G4 OS 10.4 install disks. I'm still getting the "This software cannot be installed on this computer." alert.
My iBook is a 12" G4, 800MHz, 1GB of RAM, 120GB HD, combo drive, (anything else matter?). What am I missing this time? Any ideas as to why I'm still getting this error?

I reset the PRAM a couple of times. I also tried to reset the PMU, but the key strokes listed on the forums here don't appear to do anything.

HELP!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.