Airport Extreme, Express, and a linksys home router.

Reaction score
I'm really confused here. I have an Airport Extreme card in my mini and want to know....do I have to have an Express base station in order to connect to the internet? I already have a linksys router going to my cable modem and was using that via ethernet until my ethernet connection got zapped in an electrical storm. I'd like to avoid having to buy the Express if I can possibly avoid it, but I don't see how to connect wirelessly to the Linksys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
No. You can use any wireless router with your Airport Extreme card. For instance I use a Dlink wireless router with my macs without any problems.

Make sure that your wireless is on (it's the little cone shaped dude up near the time on the menu bar) and also make sure that your router is, in fact, a wireless router. ;)

Which Linksys router do you have? Maybe it's an encryption or settings issue?

OP
E
Reaction score
I failed to mention that the router was indeed wireless. It's the ole standby. You know the one. The WRT54G.

We have a laptop pc that is connected wirelessly using the router. I can't for the life of me figure out how to conect to it with the mini and the airport extreme card. I'm starting to think the problem might be that I need to be able to connect with the ethernet first, which of course, I can't.

If anyone can give me any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
How is your network encrypted? Is it just set to the defaults (open) or do you have it locked down (WPA, WEP, etc).

To shed some positive light on this situation... I am about 98% positive that is the same router my father has at his home and I can connect to it with no problems.

Does you machine see the network in the available networks and just not connect?? Or is it not even seeing the SSID?

OP
E
Reaction score
It won't even see the network. I've tried both encrypting and leaving it wide open. Either way, it doesn't see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 800MHz 640MB RAM cd/dvd writer, airport card. My first Mac ever and learning....
The mac can't see your wireless network through airport? is the mac set up to connect only to preferred networks?

Not sure about your wireless router, but might be a security setting, such as by MAC address or specific name. Make sure everything is open (no security) on both sides and make sure DHCP is running on the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.