PCI Express Surround Sound Card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 * 2ghz Intel Xeon Dual Core :: 2GB Ram :: 2000GB HD Space :: OSX 10.4 & XP Pro
Hi there

New to mac's but been using and customizing Pc's for years.

Been searching for a PCI express sound sound card to use with my speakers but have not found anything. Is there any way of upgrading a Mac Pro to surround sound? Ideally 5.1. ATM I'm mainly using it on windows XP so if it is devices for windows only that would be just as helpful.

Thanks

Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use the optical port on my quad, which supports 5.1, and works really well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
Hi there

New to mac's but been using and customizing Pc's for years.

Been searching for a PCI express sound sound card to use with my speakers but have not found anything. Is there any way of upgrading a Mac Pro to surround sound? Ideally 5.1. ATM I'm mainly using it on windows XP so if it is devices for windows only that would be just as helpful.

Thanks

Craig

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think such a device exists. There are plenty of PCI surround sound cards but with the amount of data running through the bus i dont think its necessary to utilize the bandwidth of PCI-E.

Creative makes some excellent sound cards, check them out at Creative.com

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 * 2ghz Intel Xeon Dual Core :: 2GB Ram :: 2000GB HD Space :: OSX 10.4 & XP Pro
I use the optical port on my quad, which supports 5.1, and works really well.
Ok how would that work if i have surround sound speakers with the 3 * 3.5 jack's? Do i need an adapter and if so where do i get one?
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think such a device exists. There are plenty of PCI surround sound cards but with the amount of data running through the bus i dont think its necessary to utilize the bandwidth of PCI-E.

Creative makes some excellent sound cards, check them out at Creative.com
Well the mac pro only has PCI express expansion slots so i need a PCI express one?

Craig

M

MacHeadCase

From what I found in Google, PCI Express sound cards do exist for the Mac Pro but they are mostly for either recording studio work or high-end video editing.

But at Apple there is this Knowledge Base Article, Mac Pro: External ports and connectors:

Optical digital audio in/out port:

Connect to decks, recievers, digital instruments, and 5.1 surround-sound speaker systems using standard Toslink cables or fiber-optic cables with a 3.5 mm plastic or nylon optical plug. You can transfer stereo or encoded 5.1 audio using the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) protocol and Toslink cables.

Click on the link for more info.

Hope this helps. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.