Wonky widget

Reaction score
My translation widgets been screwy for some time now; does anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
MartinS, could you give us a little more details? Which widgets? What does "screwy" mean? Thanks.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Well, it just doesn't look quite right to me (see screenshot), and the only option in the lower pane is English, even when I select English in the upper pane.

EDIT: yes, the screenshot shows Chinese in the lower pane, but usually it's just English; there's no list of options. When different languages are selected, nothing happens.

Screenshot_1.png

Reaction score
Try disabling the widget, then enabling it.

Look to the + sign with a circle around it ... click on it, then click on Manage Widgets. In the box that appears, remove the tick next to the Translator Widget or whatever it's called, then close Dashboard.

Reverse the above process to enable the widget to see if it's fixed.

I notice that your widget is fairly transparent too ...

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Doesn't make any difference, though, I'm afraid.

M

MacHeadCase

A few things you might try. BTW I looked for a newer version of this widget but nothing seems to be available for download anymore.

I got through google this fairly recent entry, SYSTRAN Translation Widget | Fix

If it doesn't change anything then your only route would be to use another widget or online service.

There is at Apple's a translation widget (but haven't used it myself so can't say if it plays nice or not), Web Translator. It's for translating web pages and it's based on the Babel Fish which isn't ideal...

Systran does have on its main page a translator so maybe you could use that instead.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Thanks, Pulse-8: that worked a treat!

I have massaged your reputation accordingly...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.