Larger Monitor for G4

Reaction score
Hi – this is my first post on this forum and I'm looking for knowledge and advice.

My Mac is the last G4 MDD model that came loaded with OS9 and OSX:
PowerMac G4, 1.25 GHz, 120 GB HD (7200 RPM), 2 GB mem, 167 Mhz Bus.
Display: 17" LCD 1280 x 1024
Card: ATY, RU250
Connection: ADC and DVI (dual display)

I'm thinking about a larger than 17" monitor – probably something like a 23" LCD Cinema Display, but I seem to recall from somewhere that this unit can't use a larger monitor. Is anyone familiar with this model and knows whether it can accept a larger monitor? Would a different video card be necessary?

Should I consider a reputably reconditioned acrylic model circa 2003 which matches the age and style of the computer, or a particular newer model housed in an aluminum design that came out later?

I've been a Mac user since 1989 (starting on a Mac Plus), so I'm not really a newbie, but I'm a designer type, and by no means a technician.

Any good input would be appreciated.

— gullwing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. What's the highest resolution your graphics card can go to in display preferences?

OP
G
Reaction score
Alexis, the highest resolution is the one I'm using now with my 17" LCD — 1280 x 1024

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.