What is apple loops??

Reaction score
Even though I am only conciously using about 50 gig of my hard drive, 75 of 80 gig is full already! So I am trying to check what is taking the space. I found under "Library" a folder called "Audio", and under that a folder called "Apple loops", which is taking up 2.49GB! Is it important? Can I just delete it, will no ill effect?
And if there is anything else which the system comes with that you think I can delete (to create space) please do tell!
Thanks very much
Justin

Reaction score
If you have GarageBand, this is where all the audio loops are stored used to make songs in GarageBand. You might consider uninstalling GB for the time being if you don't use it. You do have a CD, anyway, don't you.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you have GarageBand, this is where all the audio loops are stored used to make songs in GarageBand. You might consider uninstalling GB for the time being if you don't use it. You do have a CD, anyway, don't you.

Great, thanks. Is there any other stuff you reckon I can uninstall too? And any tips on uninstalling things, for example this GarageBand? Do I just drag the icon into the trash?
Thank very much
Justin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Great, thanks. Is there any other stuff you reckon I can uninstall too? And any tips on uninstalling things, for example this GarageBand? Do I just drag the icon into the trash?
Thank very much
Justin

Yep - or you can completely remove all traces using a program like AppZapper.

OP
J
Reaction score

That implies that removing a program by dragging it to the trash doesn't remove all traces. So what is usually left over? Random parts? Is it then advisable to never remove a program by dragging it to the trash from the applications folder?
Thank you!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There are app support files and prefs from the app that dont get deleted when you just drag the app to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
That implies that removing a program by dragging it to the trash doesn't remove all traces. So what is usually left over? Random parts? Is it then advisable to never remove a program by dragging it to the trash from the applications folder?
Thank you!
Justin

An application in the mac world is a .app file, which is actually a library, housing the entire program. The parts that don't get deleted are any user preferences that are stored in a separate file.

OP
J
Reaction score
An application in the mac world is a .app file, which is actually a library, housing the entire program. The parts that don't get deleted are any user preferences that are stored in a separate file.

Is it bad to not delete them? What do folks usually do with them? Is there any harm in not bothering with them (those abandoned preferences)? And I guess they barely take up any space right?

Reaction score
Before you go crazy and delete important program files, get hold of Omnidisksweeper and see just what is taking up space on your HD. You may well find that you have all sorts of data files that you no longer require. PS If you want to delete them from Omnidisksweeper, you get 24 hours to do it for free. After that you have to shell out a few pennies to use it freely. Cheers Mitcherooney

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it bad to not delete them?
No.

What do folks usually do with them?
I'd imagine most people don't realize they're there.

Is there any harm in not bothering with them (those abandoned preferences)? And I guess they barely take up any space right?

Personally, if I have to spend $15 to make sure my computer is free of any residual garbage that will build up over time, it's worth it - especially if it's easy and convenient to use. But you're right in that usually residual stuff outside of the .app file usually takes up a nominal amount of space.

OP
J
Reaction score

Do you know any alternative to appzapper? I just tried it now and it's not working. Everytime I try to zapp Garageband it says "All te apps you dropped on AppZapper were safe or currently open. [...]" There are no applications on the safe list, and it is most certainly NOT open. I tried both methods also, of dropping the app onto it, and also going through file> zap application. Neither are working. So, do you know another application that does the same thing?

Thank you!
Justin

Reaction score
Run a search of the app's name using Command-F or Spotlight to find the residual files and trash them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know any alternative to appzapper? I just tried it now and it's not working. Everytime I try to zapp Garageband it says "All te apps you dropped on AppZapper were safe or currently open. [...]" There are no applications on the safe list, and it is most certainly NOT open. I tried both methods also, of dropping the app onto it, and also going through file> zap application. Neither are working. So, do you know another application that does the same thing?

Thank you!
Justin

I don't. I've never had that problem before. Have you tried rebooting the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OK folks, I just got back home from a business trip, perhaps feeling a little punchy, and I read the title of this thread.

Perhaps I should apologize in advance for this groaner, but here goes...

what is apple loops? ...a flavor of Fruit Loops? :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Sort of reminds me of that line from Forrest Gump, where Forrest learns that his partner has "got us invested in some fruit company", as he gazes upon an Apple Computer stock certificate! I loved that line! :)

Forrest of course is independently wealthy after this, since we all know that the "fruit company" in question did quite well for a while ...and is doing very well again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Thank you!
Justin

A good alternative, that is totally FREE is AppDelete :) Really easy to use because it works like the trash bin, you just drag the app to delete to the bin, and it finds all relevant files/references for that program and deletes them. Another free alternative is to just do a quick search via spotlight for any .plist files or support files that may be left over (that is all that usually is.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
The reason AppZapper won't work is because, by default, it won't delete iLife apps. You have to go into preferences to change that.

The only time it's bad to not remove all traces of a program is when it has 2.49GB of support files. Also, if you have somehow messed up your preferences and can't figure out why a program isn't working properly, deleting just the app won't do a thing. When you reinstall it will still use the old preference file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
AppDelete isn't exactly in the same league as AppZapper and it sounds like it still has to grow a little to be as efficient.

The Download Squad says AppDelete for Mac: Use it with care.

That report is a little behind the times as it appdelete has been updated since. Also, if someone types "fire" into the box, it will find all things associated with fire, so it won't actually delete firefox unless you want it to.

Additionally there is an undo button. I have had no problems with it and neither has the lifehacker in that report by all accounts :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.