• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Should I buy a iMac or wait a bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4
Newbie apologises in advance.........

I've been using my ibook g4 for about 2 years. I bought a laptop because I thought I would be on the move- but in the end that wasn't the case. My g4 isnt performing as well as it used to and I've been editing movies so I'm thinking of getting an iMac.

Thing is, I'm worried 12months down the line its going to be replaced by something better.
I scoured the internet but found nothing definite.

Is it a good time to buy do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Definitely get it now, or wait for Leopard. If the worst case scenario you pointed out
12months down the line its going to be replaced by something better.
Actually happens then you've had the use of a great machine for a whole year and it is still a great machine. There will always be something better released at some point, all you need to worry about is if the machine you have suits your needs - it will probably still do so in a years time.

Basicly, if you worry about what's due out next year you will have your ibook forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There's always something better 12 months down the road, but thinking like that will mean you never would buy a computer.

Some were expecting some news at Macworld last month, but there wasn't any. Leopard might be announced in a couple of months, but there's unlikely to be any iMac changes in the next few months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, Ti 15", 512MB RAM, OSX Tiger
At the present time, I would wait for Leopard if I could. You can expect the hardware to be upgraded every year but what really matters is whether or not you can run the software you need and the OS.

In my case, my computer works fine (5 year old PowerBook) so I'll hang on for the next OS upgrade since it is in the forseeable future.

If I needed a new computer now, I wouldn't be too concerned with buying today though. I bought my PowerBook two OS upgrades ago, skipped the first one, and upgraded to Tiger 18 months ago. Your new Mac will run Leopard fine if you need to upgrade and Tiger will probably be supported until whatever comes after Leopard is out (even longer most likely).

My main reason to wait is that I can wait and so I might as well get the latest OS pre-loaded.

Gav

Reaction score
I doubt anything new will be coming from Apple in the computer line at the moment, after all, intel haven't really got any new chips in the pipeline (well they have, but none that apple will use).

And of course they are really busy with the iPhone...

The only thing you might want to hang on for is Leopard and iLife '07...

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position, but upgrading from a mini to an iMac.

If I had the money right now I'd buy this very minute, then you get a sweet, stable machine and a sweet and stable operating system. I'm sure Leopard will be great once it comes out but Tiger's great, too.

Buy now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
If you have the money, buy now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Buy now..I did and I'm not sorry. I'll just upgrade when anything comes out and in the meantime I'm using a great machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.