• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's wireless N upgrade free afterall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
http://www.digg.com/apple/Apple_Wireless_N_for_Core_2_Duo_Free_After_All

As of 10:09PM Pacific, Apple released the Airport Extreme 2007-001 update.

This update is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and provides compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks.

Could this mean that the fabled Draft-n compatibility will come free after all? Seems that the accounting story was a about as legitimate as it was made out to be.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Apple appears to have confirmed this on their site. Read the page for the link:

From Apple - with the update, "you and up to 50 of your friends, colleagues, or family members can enjoy a robust wireless network offering up to five times the performance and up to twice the range of networks created with the earlier 802.11g standard."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
so where do i go to enable N? once i update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Yeah I just saw this too and was going to post it! I lose.

It's nice that there's no charge, but all the fuss that was flying around about a $1.99 - $4.99 charge for a nice little upgrade seemed pretty ridiculous! It's understandable that Apple would be a little bit wary about business since they are being heavily questioned still about some of their recent, um problems... Nonetheless... free is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I just updated the mac pro. i guess this did in fact support N.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
i updated my core duo
so core duo supports n too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This story proves nothing.
The Apple site confirms nothing about them waiving the fee or unlocking the Draft-N. All the site does is explain that the new AirPort Extreme Station has 'n' capability. The update is recommended and it mentions nothing about unlocking or giving 'n' capability to a machine not labeled as such.
The download site only says "This update is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and provides compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks."
The first Intels didn't have the "hidden" Draft-N card. The compatibility offered is likely nothing more than a security update or something similar.
Also, if they are unlocking it for free, then why not update the MacBook and MacBook Pro pages on their site to show that they are 802.11n?
Both pages still show the notebooks as being 802.11g and mention nothing about having 'n' capability.
I could be wrong, but until someone with an "n" router and one of the latest Mac notebooks downloads this update to show otherwise, this means absolutely nothing.
:black:

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
This story proves nothing.
The Apple site confirms nothing about them waiving the fee or unlocking the Draft-N. All the site does is explain that the new AirPort Extreme Station has 'n' capability. The update is recommended and it mentions nothing about unlocking or giving 'n' capability to a machine not labeled as such.
The download site only says "This update is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and provides compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks."
The first Intels didn't have the "hidden" Draft-N card. The compatibility offered is likely nothing more than a security update or something similar.
Also, if they are unlocking it for free, then why not update the MacBook and MacBook Pro pages on their site to show that they are 802.11n?
Both pages still show the notebooks as being 802.11g and mention nothing about having 'n' capability.
I could be wrong, but until someone with an "n" router and one of the latest Mac notebooks downloads this update to show otherwise, this means absolutely nothing.
:black:

You are so wise!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You are so wise!
That is because I have been around the Mac world long enough to not get sucked into rumors. Rumor sites are wrong (like really,way off wrong) about things more often than they are right.
It is usually the fanboys that start some crazy rumor, because they really want to see something happen. They really have no basis in fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
Okay went to apple and asked them they said it costs like 1.99 to activate it on your computer if you have a new computer within the last 4 months the core 2 duos

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.