DVI out to DVI TV - No Sound with Front Row - Help

Reaction score
Here is what I have:

17" MacBook Pro.

Daytek Plasma TV with DVI input.

What I want to do:

I want to watch movies (using front row) on the television, streaming from the macbook pro through the DVI cable.

What is the problem?

There is no sound. Sound runs through the macbook, not the TV. This is the same for DVD or Music playback through Front Row (or even when playing quicktime or VLC player)

What I've tried:

Just about everything - but not the thing that makes it work:

Mirroring displays.
Closing the MBP during playback.
Not mirroring displays.
Updating all software.
Downloading all the responsible codecs.
Checked the cable. No problems.
Checked the HDMI input on the TV. Works fine during input from my PVR.

As far as I can tell there are no settings in Mac OS X to manually configure the set-up for either Front Row (this would be great if someone knew how to do this) or a setup system for Sound similar to the DISPLAYS preferences tab. Nor are there any similar settings on the Television.

I just can't think what it is that I am missing - and no amount of google or forum searching has provided the answer. (which might be as simple as 'it just wont work that way' - you can't do it)...

Appreciate any tips or troubleshooting help!

ME

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
Well, sorry to say this but the problem is very simple...DVI ports do not tranfer sound. So what i do is i purchased a cable that has a head phone jack at one side and then left/right AUX audio on the other. then just plug that into the tv on the same video as the dvi and it will work.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
DVI no sounds, if you wantg it all in one get HDMI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
DVI = Digital Video Interface

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
Well, sorry to say this but the problem is very simple...DVI ports do not tranfer sound. So what i do is i purchased a cable that has a head phone jack at one side and then left/right AUX audio on the other. then just plug that into the tv on the same video as the dvi and it will work.

I do this, but I get a little interference (static noise). If you use the hdmi it'll work a lot better.

--
MacGuy18

Reaction score
Use your optical output. If your tv has no optical input. You'll meed a 1/8inch to rca cable. The cable that comes with most sony cams. What inputs do you have on your tv.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.