Screen Resolution.....changable on a Macbook NON Pro?

Reaction score
I was just wondering. I don't know if this is a PC based issue or strictly a hardware issue, so please excuse my ignorance.

Is there a way to get a higher resolution then the 1280 x 800 pixels.

The reason I ask is because my Fujitsu tablet had 1024x768 and I was wanting more 'real estate' so I can have multiple things opened at once. So I didn't know if there was a way of getting 1440 x 900 pixels out of it, like the 15.4 inch screen.

Just some thoughts....

Thanks
DeathtoToasters

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
no. impossible the screen only goes up to a certain resolution

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
no. impossible the screen only goes up to a certain resolution

Ok, that is what I thought.

Can someone take a screen shot of a 1280x800 screen with some programs on it, or in other words, show me how it would look multi tasking. I think the widescreen portion of the macbook would change the way I would use the programs vs only one program being able to be seen at a time.

Am I under the wrong impression here?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
I was just wondering. I don't know if this is a PC based issue or strictly a hardware issue, so please excuse my ignorance.

Is there a way to get a higher resolution then the 1280 x 800 pixels.

The reason I ask is because my Fujitsu tablet had 1024x768 and I was wanting more 'real estate' so I can have multiple things opened at once. So I didn't know if there was a way of getting 1440 x 900 pixels out of it, like the 15.4 inch screen.

Just some thoughts....

Thanks
DeathtoToasters

The screen it self only has so many pixels on it. the "native" resolution is the maximum resolution.

If your screen is 1280x800px that means there is 1,024,000px on the screen. so its impossible for your screen to display any more.

On old CRT monitors you could crank up the res as high as you want but it would just look interlaced and crappy past its "max resolution"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro dual core, Powerbook G4 1.33
But OpenGL and expose easily scale down windows and put visual effects on OS X's buttery interface. Isn't there some way to just override the auto-detected max resolution (using DisplayConfigX or something) and then scale the whole display down to fit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
But OpenGL and expose easily scale down windows and put visual effects on OS X's buttery interface. Isn't there some way to just override the auto-detected max resolution (using DisplayConfigX or something) and then scale the whole display down to fit?
Scaling down a window or performing visual effects does not in any way add more pixels to a screen.
There isn't anyway to get the resolution higher.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro dual core, Powerbook G4 1.33
I don't mean higher resolution, but higher screen economy with increased miniaturization. Yes, it would look crappier, but if you ran Pro Tools or something you could gain a little more viewing space. Something like this:

Normal resolution
corner_normal.jpg

All images shrunk to fit, at increased blur/grain
corner_shrunk.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What you're talking about is resolution independent UI scaling. (shrinking or growing UI elements regardless of the display's native resolution)
Look for it in 10.5, but primarily for increasing text and UI sizes on very high res displays.

But generally speaking: No, you can't display more content on a screen with fewer pixels. However OS X includes a number of features to make work on a smaller screen a lot easier than Windows.
Features like expose, non-full screen apps etc. make small screens manageable.

And don't forget you can always use an external screen at home!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.