am I just being fussy ?

V

varpunk

I have had my 12" ibook g4 since x'mas time and have had truble with it crashing so that the only thing i can do is to turn it off and on again. i have phone apple care countless time and they can never seem to help me. I have even sent it off to apple to have it repaird and still i have the same problem. it freezes somtime when iam just in a programe somtimes when starting up and somtime on the dock. i have had it back from repair for about a week now and it has crashed 4 x.

am i just being fussy and do the new ibooks ocasionaly crash or is there somthing wrong ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You should not be crashing like that.
I have three things to recommend

1) Repair Disk Permissions - Go to applications|utilities|disk utility and select repair disk permissions on your OS X drive

2) File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in
/sbin/fsck -y (if it comes up with an error do /sbin/fsck -f)
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in reboot and it will restart the computer as normal

3) Do a clean install of OS X - If neither 1 or 2 help post back here and I can give you some detailed instructions for this

OP
V

varpunk

ok I did 1 and it seemed to correct a few things. but when i went to do 2 i shut it down restarted it holding down the 's' key and nothing happened it just booted up as normal.

any way thanx for your help and i will post back here if it freezes agian hopfully thats sorted it

thanx agian

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The second option should be Apple command S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
The second option should be Apple command S

Thanks rman I was thinking of just holding down C to boot from disk and just forgot the Apple. There should be a way for us to put the apple symbol in text while we are typing so we dont have to say the apple/command key

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
S

s3pt1k

varpunk said:
am i just being fussy and do the new ibooks ocasionaly crash or is there somthing wrong ??

Something is most definitely wrong. I had similar problems with my iBook that was purchased about the same time. Turns out it was an airport issue. I had been running my updates, but this one was not listed. A fried provided me a fix. Check your error logs in /Library/Logs/panic.log. If you see anything related to the Airport, PM me and I'll get you the fix package that I used.

I have been crash free since the fix.

OP
V

varpunk

Ok it crashed again to day while i was starting it up. so i might need to try 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
varpunk said:
Ok it crashed again to day while i was starting it up. so i might need to try 3

did you get my second suggestion to work?

OP
V

varpunk

Yea i did the 2nd one twice. I have orderd new memory for my ibook iam not sure if that will help ?

OP
S

s3pt1k

By the way, I found out that my crashses were due to a faulty Aiport card. Apple sent me a new one and in 5 days, it has not crashed once.

*knock on wood*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, well apples arn't known to crash. if they are crashing.. something is wrong with it.

OP
P

philsharp

still crashing?

Hi Guys,

I don't know if anyone is still here now, but I also have a 12" G4 iBook from about the same time and have been having similar crashes.

At first, like the orginal post, I thought I was being too fussy - this was my first Mac so how was I to know?

Over the last year, the problem has been there, but it is so intermittent, I could never find a pattern. This last week, it seems to be all the time. It'll only boot one in every three tries and struggle to run for more than five or ten minutes.

It now seems as though the fault is more hardware than software, and the unit seems particularly sensitive to being moved. So now I'm thinking that something is loose under the keyboard - I have double checked the ram and Airport card are fully in place.

Before I go off to find a repair shop, has anyone experienced similar with this particular model?
I know Apple have this logic board problem, but as far as I can tell this affected earlier models, but I am wondering if this is a manufacturing problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.